Oil leak

Fullsize4life

Now with More Smoke
Reaction score
Ok i got a bad oil leak on the drivers side of my motor. When i fire it up and let is idle it will start dripping down outa the cross member and onto the front pig. Oil filter is tight. Pan is good. Where else can it be leaking from? Is there inlets to the oil cooler down there or what? Im stumped?
Thanks

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
I would look at the oil cooler. You sure its coming from the drivers side, or maybe its leaking elsewhere and flowing over the crossmember?

wbw189

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Ryan. Trace the leak up. Way too much money can be spent from the bottom. Pull the inner fender to help diagnose, it's easier of the two. I just pulled by front clip to do some R & R. Uncovered a few gems that could have given me a lot of grief (oil cooler, power steering seals, valve cover gaskets, cut battery ground, rag joint, shocks, ...).

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll bet on the front outer Oil Cooler O-Ring. Mine just did the same thing. Looked just like a leaking X-member. The cooler had been a slow leaker ( only when cold ) for over a year but I put it off because somewhere I read ( mistakenly ) that they don't fail catastrophically. Well I'm here to tell you they do. I could see the oil spraying out from the gap between the front OC header and the big O-ring ( IH # 1804414C1 ) at idle. I checked the oil level and then restarted it to move it approximately 200' to where I could tear it down and in less than a minute blew out another 1-1/2 gallons of oil.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oil cooler, valve cover, or the oil supply to the turbo. That line can easily get a hole in it if have been in contact with firewall, tranny, motor or whatever on its way from the lower driverside of the block up to the turbo.

Heath

Fullsize4life

Now with More Smoke
Reaction score
My oil cooler line is braided stainless. Im sure it is the oring on the oil cooler now that it has been said. It is going in next week for a fix

Fullsize4life

Now with More Smoke
Reaction score
Oil cooler is shot. In the shop now. Should have it back on monday. Not cheap and i did not have time to mess with it.

Fullsize4life

Now with More Smoke
Reaction score
Getting a new cooler off of a 7.3 out of a bus. In very nice shape. Hope to have back tomorow after noon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online