oil cooler o-ring ?

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
do you use the two fat ones and all four small ones,or use the two fat ones and just two small ones.
its together just like it came from the factory,one fat one at each end and one small one at each end :confused:

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last time I did mine, It required 1 fat one 1 small one on each end. The books tell you to put the o-rings in the header and then shove the tube in, but it'll cut the rings every time. Put the rings on the tube, and then lube it up good and press it into the header...

Zigg :)

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you got the wrong kit....the one for the 83s and early 84s that had 6 orings two little ones that went in the header along with 2 fat ones for each side. The kits for the 7.3 and later 6.9s should have 2 green and 2 purple/black orings and you can get the gaskets from an auto parts store(not a dealer only item). I was unable to press the orings on because I didn't like the idea of vaseline or grease in the cooling system and I used motor oil instead. The shop that pressed the bundle together for me used dawn dish soap as a lube, most here use vaseline with no apparent ill effects though. Either way,install 1 ring of each type on each end of the bundle exactly as they came off. Make a jig with the biggest C-clamp or bar clamp fyou can find and 2x4 ends so that you don't put undue pressureon the caps. You should hear a distinct pop as the orings seat in the header.

docsgottaluvme

Docsgottaluvme
Reaction score
I have a 1986 f350 6.9. Im trying to remove the oil cooler. it has a 4 bolt connection at each header. I have it un bolted but can not remove it. How do I get it out of the engine compartment?