OHH GREAT!!!!!! What Now!?!?!??!

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Last weekend, new starter, and mechanical fuel pump, Now every morning it's lost prime. I've got to crank the hell out of it every morning. It starts right up, runs for three seconds, and dies, Then I crank the hell out of it, till it fires, then it runs fine. What gives?

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air Leak???

I had the same problem when I bought my truck.
I dont know the answer. :confused:
I changed the fuel filter [poss. air leak]
I had some return line leaks on the injectors, changed the o rings and caps.
Also found a leak in one of the line goinjg to the rear tank,I dont rember if it was a supply or return.
It sounds like you are losing prime .
Like it is pulling the fuel from the filter to run for a min. then quiting untill it gets primed again.
Good luck
John

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check all of the fittings at the fuel pump. This is sounds like an air leak, that is causing it to loose prime. Also check the rubber seal at the top of the metal line, going into the filter.

Snowdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gave up trying to find the air leak and installed a holly red fuel pump. I know it's not stock, but my truck starts every time and I don't care about the leak anymore.

oregon dw

Reaction score
I just joined this listtoday. Hello

I'm talking about a 6.9, so am not sure if it will work on the 7.3 but:

I plugged off the return fuel line at the fuel filter, as I was told this helps stops the fuel return line from sucking in air and allowing the fuel to go back to the tank. Just did this yesterday, in an attempt to stop killing misquetoes on first start up of the day. Still checking for small air leak(s). One leak found.

I agree it sounds like a air leak, and it may be allowing fuel to flow out of the filter and go back to the fuel tank. You could check the fuel filter to see if remains full after sitting over night. Just my 2 cents.

Dave in Oregon
1985 F-250 6.9 4X4 auto with 250,000 +
1997 F 350 powerstroke crew cab,4X4 auto 30,000+

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Actually, The problem exists between the tank switch valve and the front tank. As long as I run on the rear tank, it's fine.
Welcome to the board!!!!!

oregon dw

Reaction score
I heard of the tank pick up tube having a break or leak when it's around 1/4 tank of fuel or so. If you can have that tank filled, and then see if it still happens, at least you will rule out that area and you would end up with a full tank.

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
dave welcome to the clan, yeah the pick up tube is an ailment we all share lol. My lines only sucked about 10 gallons from each tank and didnt get around to fixing it before my truck sold. Camaro.....sounds like you got some fun on your hands, best of luck to you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk