OD light flashing again

genchowford

genchowford
Reaction score
flashes until truck starts to move then stops flashing, what could that be? seems to only flash when first started and after backing up. after warmed up shifts just fine except mushy going into final.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
take truck to AutoZone, have them pull the codes for the transmission, see what the deal is. Good 1-2 and 2-3 shifts but a sloppy 3-4 can mean teh OD band has worn off a bit, or whatever doodat engages it ain't pulling/pushing on it as hard as it should. But you really need the codes, back the truck in A/Z's parking lot if necessary to get the thing to blink then have them scan it.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What was the voltage initially? You want 1.1V or so at arm idle, and 3.5 to 4.3V at WOT. I have mine set at 1.15 idle and 4.29 WOT, works great. Good thing yours was an easy fix tho.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
would that be on a '95 psd? my friend was towing on the highway the other day and when he hit the OD button it was flasing...?:dunno

-Jon

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i thought the voltage tweak may work on all E4ODs...not just ones behind the IDI.

Yes and no - on our diesels the FIPL controls just the E4OD, but gassers run EFI systems that the same input from the TPS to adjust the fuel mixture - turning the TPS to tweak the trans shift points will likely also cause the truck to run richer. Voltage of 0.9-1.1 at warm idle is generally okay for a gasoline Ford ECM tho, ideally you want it as close to 1V as possible, but 0.1V under or over is still within factory specs.

With the PSD dunno, ain't those electronic injection too? Does their ECM use the FIPL input for adjusting injectors duty cycle?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I always felt that the hot idle setting was from .96 to 1.2 volts. I had mine set with that special Ford tool. When I got it home I checked it against my digital voltmeter. It was hot idle 1.38 volts. I did more checking with an E4OD engineer. He told me that setting was fine and that I would not see any damage to the trans because of it. So it shifts great and I'm still happy as can be....:D

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Yes and no - on our diesels the FIPL controls just the E4OD, but gassers run EFI systems that the same input from the TPS to adjust the fuel mixture - turning the TPS to tweak the trans shift points will likely also cause the truck to run richer. Voltage of 0.9-1.1 at warm idle is generally okay for a gasoline Ford ECM tho, ideally you want it as close to 1V as possible, but 0.1V under or over is still within factory specs.

With the PSD dunno, ain't those electronic injection too? Does their ECM use the FIPL input for adjusting injectors duty cycle?

that is true, but the 4.9 I6 doesnt have an adjustable TPS...lame.