OBS bumper differences F250/F350

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did a quick search but figured somebody in the IDI forum would know the answer to this:

What's the interchangeability on front and rear bumpers for 1992-1997 F Series trucks? I'm looking for a new front bumper, but I'd like to do a rear drop bumper eventually too. I've been looking on Craigslist for a clean front bumper and I know some of the the OBS F150s had a lower valence on them, and I've seen some folks on here cut out the slots and add the 1997 additional front opening trim, but what I am wondering is are all the bumpers the same and just utilize different mounts to mate them to the different frame rails :dunno

I am guessing that they used all the same bumpers, but I'm hoping somebody has some pics or details on what can and will fit.

As always, any help is appreciated

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The bumper with the holes started in 94.5 along with the Powerstroke. IIRC.

They should mount the same.
I know my 94.5 and my brothers 93 mount the same.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there was only a few different front bumper options for the 9th gen trucks (92-96/97hd) and all of them are the same bumper with different trim levels which all bolt the same.
there was a painted version without trim.these came on the plain jane trucks.
there was a chrome version without trim.these came on some xl trucks. (my '96 xl had this one.)
there was a chrome version with a full center strip.these came on the xlt trucks. (both my trucks had this originally.)
there was the one you pointed out,that was chrome with the full trim strip and also had center cutouts with dual square matching trim.these came on the xlt powerstokes diesels and the eddie bauer edition f150's received these as well.(i swapped out my rusted out chrome/full strip for one of these on the f250.)

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My front vented chrome PS bumper is off a '97. It bolted right on. It replaced a full chrome/no stripe bumper. My truck is an XL.

Last edited:

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
On a side note, how do the black rubber strips attach to the bricknose and obs trucks?

Mixture of bolts and adhesive or what?

My 1990 needs it back on.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a side note, how do the black rubber strips attach to the bricknose and obs trucks?

im unaware of the 8th gens (id assume the same way,but you know what that gets us lol) but with the 9th gens,it's simply slots and the back side of the trim has ears that go into the slots and hold the trim there.no adhesive.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bumper with the holes started in 94.5 along with the Powerstroke. IIRC.
At least some factory turbo IDI trucks came from the factory with center cut-out front bumpers; I'm not sure if they all did or not, but I've seen a few...

I have a rear bumper off a brick-nose truck on my '84 slant-nose that has the black plastic (they look like rubber) strips. On this setup, the strips have clips molded into the back side, that snap into place in square holes in the bumper. I wanted to remove them and just have metal (figured a bumper sticker wouldn't stick to the textured plastic very well), but then I would have needed to have found a way to fill in the square holes.

You might be able to use a carriage bolt to re-attach the strip, or you can get new strips. LMC has them, but they're $65 a side...

Ocelotl

Reaction score
My factory 1993 IDIT F250 (C code/8th VIN digit) had the OEM front bumper with the two wide vents and a narrower one in the middle (makes room for the front license plate). I replaced it with one exactly the same from a OBS PSD, year unknown. I don't know whether there are differences between OBS diesels and gassers, F150/F250/F350 or about frame width differences, though.

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bumper cutouts started in 1993 on C and K vin trucks (factory turbo) ... It enhanced cooling to the radiator... Every powerstroke has a vented bumper that I'm aware of... Even XL's