OBS bigger capacity fuel tank options?

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I searched for it but found nothing. I checked out LMC and found some possible options.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=57 (bottom of page) It's only listed for 80 - 89 though. What's the difference from an OBS fuel tank?

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=58 This one is for a bronco

Would either of these work? What other options are there? Could one from a Cab and chassis Super Duty be used? What about a front saddle tank from a Super Duty to replace the front tank on an OBS?

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That 38 gallon tank from LMC will fit, the sender is the problem. IIRC something about the sender was changed for the OBS trucks vs the bricknose trucks.

perk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tabs for the sender moved between the model years. You just need to cut for you tab orientation. I bought the one from rockauto because that one is NOT galv.

perk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the superduty midship 38 gal tank mounted on my pickup. It takes modifying the tank so that it doesn't conflict with the shocks. I heated mine up, & pushed the corner in to modify it. The tank leaked after that until I used an HDPE extrusion welder to seal it up. I also had to modify the frame cross member bracing so that the tank wouldnt run into the driveline. If I had to do it all over again, I would buy a larger aftermarket tank for the midship tank.

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to measure the frame to see how much room I have to work with. An Excursion or 90's suburban tank may work in the rear. Yea, I said a suburban. Both of those hold in the 40 gallon range.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An Excursion or 90's suburban tank may work in the rear. Yea, I said a suburban.

And I didn't think anybody else could cross reference/cross breed any more non-Ford parts into an IDI ;Sweet

War Wagon: you are today's hero for even considering putting a GM fuel tank under your Ford :hail

If it works well, I'd like some pics and a write up please as being able to hold ~65ish gallons of fuel would be pretty freaking awesome ;Sweet

Maverick1701

Full Access Member
Reaction score
swapping the bronco tank is a popular swap...just have to relocate the spare (I carried mine in the bed anyway when I had my truck)