o ring kit needed

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are talking about a return line kit, I would pm typ4. He has great return line kits with viton o rings and olives. Only way to go in my opinion.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well 0 ring for my injectores no.1 is leaking

Good thing you clarified that cause I wondered what O ring too..

Power steering pump theres 3 the power steering lines a couple in there too...

O rings for Oil cooler???

And ya lastly O rings for the return line caps.

IMHO I'd suggest you contatc Typ4 via a PM and get a return line kit. If one is leaking may as well do the whole return line setup and be done knowing it's TIP TOP. May want to get some OLIVES too and replace those while at it then you know your fuel system is tight!

JM2CW

Al

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Olives are the seals found at both ends of the fuel line from the filter to the injection pump. They look like square cut pieces of 5/16 hose. Also the lift pump to filter inlet has one olive thats a 3/8 size. Might give Conestogat Diesel in Pa a call for the kit if Russ is not available. Mel is closer to you and he is one of the founding members of this site. He reciently bought the shop where he had the Moose pumps made... Hows that for living a dream job..-Drool

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Jim.. Some members have cut fuel hose but as I recall they had to trim the outside till it fit the nuts. Having a few in the tool box is always a great idea. Buying Mels modified fuel line from the filter to the injection pump is another great idea. That right there does away with two of those olives. Doing away with the other only on the lift pump to filter inlet is easy. Just install two 90 degree threaded fitting with a how barb abd run some fuel hose. Instantly no more air leak options..:angel:

gatorman21218

Reaction score
ok I was just curious to why it wouldnt work. I bought some from Navistar, but it seems silly to pay a dollar for a 1/4 inch piece of hose.

You can also get o-rings from McMaster-Carr. PN is in the parts bin. I have 3 or 4 sets of caps and clamps so I just bought some o-rings and a few feet of hose from NAPA the last time I did the returns

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The work to make hose work for olives is a real *****. Certainly not worth my time. And they are cheap from the right source.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I guess Rus has made a good point... Now if an olive split out on the open road on some dark rainy sunday nite... Making one to get home is not such a bad idea.. But cheaping out just to save a few pennys when it can be done easily.. Nope.. I'm buying whats proven to work well year after year. These olives are a preventive maintance item too. They don't last forever but some of us will push them till they harden up so badly we need to nearly ruin the nuts to get them out. then if you soak them in brake fluid overnite they come out easily. A dental pick works well in this tight area too. When installing these you push it past the line flair. Thats so the line reaches deeper into the fittings. Then you connect the cap nut and tighten it. They really work well as a vibration dampner. I feel thats one of the designs of these things. Notice the hard line from the lift pump to the filter head... There is a 3/8 inch olive at the fiter head inlet but not on the lift pump outlet end of that line.. Vibration is my thoughts... I might be all wet with tis idea but I have not heard any better reasons for these olives... P.S. There is another hiddien olive on many fuel systems too.. Tune in next week for more information....:D:angel:

tractorman86

Reaction score
i run my hand made filter to injection pump hose conversion too and won't ever go back to olives. but unfortunately i am also due for a return line kit

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I guess Rus has made a good point... Now if an olive split out on the open road on some dark rainy sunday nite... Making one to get home is not such a bad idea.. But cheaping out just to save a few pennys when it can be done easily.. Nope.. I'm buying whats proven to work well year after year. These olives are a preventive maintance item too. They don't last forever but some of us will push them till they harden up so badly we need to nearly ruin the nuts to get them out. then if you soak them in brake fluid overnite they come out easily. A dental pick works well in this tight area too. When installing these you push it past the line flair. Thats so the line reaches deeper into the fittings. Then you connect the cap nut and tighten it. They really work well as a vibration dampner. I feel thats one of the designs of these things. Notice the hard line from the lift pump to the filter head... There is a 3/8 inch olive at the fiter head inlet but not on the lift pump outlet end of that line.. Vibration is my thoughts... I might be all wet with tis idea but I have not heard any better reasons for these olives... P.S. There is another hiddien olive on many fuel systems too.. Tune in next week for more information....:D:angel:

thats what I had to do. I had to soak it in brake fluid for a week for it to soften up enough

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats what I had to do. I had to soak it in brake fluid for a week for it to soften up enough

Me too lol. After a while, I got fed up with waiting so I got my butane torch and burned them off after they soaked in brake fluid for a day. That took about 2 minutes to do.