nv4500 Swap

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of it. I haven't heard of many folks changing to anything but a ZF-5 if they want an OD manual transmission in a Ford. I like my ZF-5, and would not want to go with something non OEM especially if it costs $2k+ unless I had high horsepower or something that warranted a heavier duty transmission. In that case, I wouldn't be going with a NV4500.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your doing/spending that why not use the 12v to get rid of the idi and make a good combo?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seen that site and their conversion kit in the past. Not heard of someone doing the swap on an IDI. Nothing wrong with it, just expensive and not a ton gained over the ZF5 in the vast majority of IDI's. Plus, NV's have had their share of issues as well.

Heath

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would venture to sat that if you were going to go through the trouble to swap the tranny out, go to a medium duty Fuller trans. This could be done without any custom adapters, but would require a divorced transfer case - which would also be stronger. Any way you look at it, PSD's have been sending a ton of torque through ZF5's for years, and they seem to hold up really well. The amount of torque a IDI is capable of putting out shouldn't ever hurt one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger