'Nother Suspect IP Question

smokinpipes

Navistar Nut
Reaction score
Hey all, long time, no post; I know.. I know... Life has been, to say the least, busy.

Now, lets throw into the mix, a truck that virtually refuses to start.
The facts:

A week and a half prior to my issues, she started on either the first or second crank, every time; hot or cold. Never missed a beat. I had lost my wallet, had no money, and when the car was low on fuel, began driving my truck, as it got low in fuel, I supplemented with some used hydraulic oil (~5 gallons mixed with 7 gallons of #2) and drove on that for about an additional week. Had no real starting or driving issues albeit a little more smoky. One night, I was headed home @ 3am, and the truck was running okay, but seemed like it was surging a little bit, however, at 3am it didn't register I was running out of fuel, until she lost power after making a corner. I switched tanks and by the time I arrived home, she was running smooth again.

Next day/night, drove into work, with no issues, however it seemed like the truck had started it bit harder than usual, but didn't think much of it. 9 hours later, driving home, she was acting like she was sucking air again... but the rear tank should have been fairly full...arrived home, and idle was very unstable. Shut her off, and figured I would check for air in the fuel lines the next day.

Next day, started truck, had pockets of small air bubbles coming through the bypass line at the fuel filter.. okay.. FSV suspect. pulled FSV, fine... put fuel system back together, put 5 gallons of fuel in each front and rear tank, and bled fuel system, fought with truck to get started again; got started, air seemed to be less prominent (suspect bad pickup in rear tank)... still harder than I liked to start... coked injectors/swirl chambers?

Pulled three injectors out last night, and found no evidence of coking. Injector tips looked clean, could see straight into swirl chamber, and no major carbon built up. Replaced injectors, and tried to start her... no dice. Pulled injector line off one injector, and had fuel coming out of line. Tightened fuel lines back up.

The glows are functioning correctly (has updated GP controller from a 7.3L; Motorcraft plugs) Finally took several sessions of ether to get her to take off (after disabling the G.P.s) Let her run a while, drove her into town, and back. (about 20 minutes of run time) Upon arriving home, shut her down, and went to restart, and she had to turn over for about 5-8 seconds to get her to fire.
When she did fire, it wasn't a sudden fire, but more like she turned over, in a gradual, but increasing speed until she fired up. Did this three times in succession, all with the same results.

Let sit about an hour, tried to start again, glow plug light illuminated for about 5 seconds, turned over, and would not start. I had no smoke from the tailpipe, nor that unburnt diesel fuel smell.

Fuel filter isn't plugged, nor is it old. Have about 6.5 PSI fuel pressure coming to filter. I plan to check fuel coming from injection pump return line; and checking for air intrusion with clear vinyl tubing at various locations. Last I knew timing was around 10* adv @ 2000.

My question: should I plan on budgeting for another IP? Injectors? What else should I check (chances I've checked and just didn't write it down)
(Afterthought: IP is 4 years old, with maybe 30,000 miles, injectors, 6, with 50k - These are rough estimates)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like your not getting fuel to the injecters or its getting there but its too low of pressure to pop open the injecters. These injecters pumps don't like to be run low of fuel supply. The diesel lubes and cools the pump and injecters. Approx. 85%

of the fuel passing thru the filter returns to the tanks picking up heat and lubing things.

smokinpipes

Navistar Nut
Reaction score
I had about 6-7 PSI coming into the filter housing (at the schrader valve), and I realize pressure does not correspond to flow (such as the relationship of amps and volts and resistance) Though when I did have it running, I had removed the bypass fuel line after the filter housing, and continuously had fuel being expelled at a constant volume no matter engine speed (I also have a Holly Red pump for a lift pump)
When I removed a few of the hard lines from the injectors, and turned the engine over, I had nearly a drop's worth of fuel being expelled from the fuel lines when it would hit that injector as the engine turned over. So, with no pressure on the hard lines, I am getting fuel at least that far.
So unless the main filter gave away internally, and plugged the inlet screen of the IP I don't see fuel delivery to the IP being an issue; am I correct in having this hypothesis?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
That's a fair amount of blowby Don. May want to run a compression test to see where the numbers are at. If compression starts dipping into the 200's, she's gonna have starting issues.

smokinpipes

Navistar Nut
Reaction score
I've always felt that about the blow by... I'll swing by the auto store tonight and pick up a Diesel Compression tester; and report back.
I just find it odd at how quickly the symptoms onset.
SO... Ron... Whuchya gonna do with your IDI when you drop the goat motor in there? "Doe" you wanna trade? Just "kidding"... okay, I'll stop with the puns now.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
LOL It's got a home projected already. If you want, I've got a compression tester you can use if need to.

smokinpipes

Navistar Nut
Reaction score
When do you project to be up at Darrin's this weekend? It would give me an extra excuse to pop up; then an additional reason to drop by the homestead ;)

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
I'll be up there tomorrow prolly by 5, at the latest, if all goes well. Will add it to the list to load up tonight. :)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even without good compression, you should have some wafting of diesel exhaust at the tailpipe. The glow plugs will burn enough of it to make smoke.

smokinpipes

Navistar Nut
Reaction score
Well the results are in...
After Ron so graciously lent me his compression tester, I took advantage of the first nice day... and here's what I noted:

(7) 420 (8) 400
(5) 420 (6) 400
(3) 400 (4) 390
(1) 425 (2) 450

SO...
Not the BEST of show for numbers; but we should be lighting something. Looking at Mel's suggestion, I double checked to see if there is a slight amount of what looks to be raw fuel being emitted from the tail pipe.
I figured I've got the glows out, lets check... so I connected the IP power and cranked it over again, and I did see what looked like fuel vapor being blown out of the GP holes. It was not very much; at a wide open throttle, about 1/8 of a sray of windex :dunno ... With one line disconnected, after about 7-8 squirts from a hard line onto a white rag, I had a wet spot of fuel aprox 3" in diameter. I realize these aren't calibration grade numbers but it's what I've got for reference. So, I am still indeed getting fuel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online