noob serpentine belt question

jonb96150

Reaction score
1993 IDIT
When I went to replace my serp belt last night I had to pull the old belt around the fan, that is it encircled the water pump pulley. Is that correct? Cuz I could not figure out how to get the new one on after slipping it over the fan. I have searched but have not seen enough detail. Youtubers on other engines don't seem to be wrassling the belt over the fan.

Is it possible the p.o. installed the belt incorrectly or could I have somehow gotten the whole belt around the water pump pulley when I removed it (which does not seem likely).
The belt squealed badly.

Thanks for all the info in the forum, I have been lurking and reading it a lot and it is great for a new IDI owner like myself.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is the correct routing
You must be registered for see images attach

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your belt is squealing, you might have got the wrong length belt. Some tensioner's have a 3" idler pulley and some have a 4" pulley.

IIRC there is a 110.5" 113" belt. NA IDI should be 110.5" without ambulance Pkg.

Which do you have? A six or eight groove belt.

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i also had an issue with squeeling
ontop of what Bill said, you should check your PS and vacuum pulleys, sometimes they dont get put on correctly

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
this is the correct routing
You must be registered for see images attach

This is the correct belt path. See how much drive is used on the crank pulley. Then look at the other low energy pulleys. Some have very little belt contact because they are not asked to drive a huge pump or alternator.

jonb96150

Reaction score
I've seen the diagrams, but I can't seem to figure out if the belt has to be wrestled around the fan first. Because when I removed the old squealing one I had to remove it over the fan, like you would with a v-belt fan belt, where you have to wrangle the belt between the fan blades and the shroud.

So I'm wondering if the last install was incorrect, but managed to make enough contact with the water pump pulley to not overheat, but could explain the squealing that disappears when I use belt dressing.

So when you guys replace a belt do you mess with getting the old belt around the fan and between fan and shroud?

pafixitman

Reaction score
I recall always having to get it around the fan and shroud. But I don't recall it being that big of a deal either. Couple busted knuckles. My headache was a stripped tensioner bolt.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
put the belt inbetween 2 of the fan blades, then hold one end and rotate the fan,
dont mean to be a ****, but it aint that hard!:dunno

when i replace the belt, i put the belt around all of the equipment minus the tensioner, then put tension on the tensioner and slip it over.

the tensioner is the only one that does not have a guard.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If you put the new one on the way the old one came off, and it fits, then what's the problem?
It it would have been on wrong: 1 it wouldn't fit. 2 the fan would be spinning backwards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

jonb96150

Reaction score
I can get the belt around the fan, you're right that's not hard. Been doing that with v belts my whole life. I just couldn't figure out the routing and since serpentine belts on other engines do not have to be put over the fan I was starting to wonder if the last install was incorrect.

That video helps a lot, just the picture of the engine is way easier for me to follow than the diagram. From the pic I can tell that the belt has to go over the fan, could not digest that from the diagram. :idiot:

I'll get it tonight after work. If my buddy doesn't show up again with a bunch of beer like last night! Which was probably the problem in the first place. :drunk:

Thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online