Non-wastegated the way to go?

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
So...ive got this friend who says he is going to build the most wicked IDI around ;Really ...seriously though over at TDS i read a post about how the older (non waste gated) turbo kits from ATS were capable of pushing more boost than the new smaller and wastegated banks/ATS units is this true? so if I, oops i mean my friend :D wanted to build a no holds barred racing IDI could one of these older turbos be a benefit... i stand ready to be criticsised (sp?) :hail

-Nick

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nickbf2504x4 said:
criticsised (sp?) :hail

-Nick

criticized ;) :D

If memory serves...the way it was explained to me is that non-wastegate takes awhile to spool up but you get it later at higher speeds. Wastegated spools up quicker and you get more boost in the butt right from the start. That is the real simple skinny of it - smarter heads will chime in I'm sure! ;Sweet Good luck with the buildup - you should hookup with Frieght and exchange ideas - he has the same idea for the "E"! :thumbsup:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Nickbf2504x4 said:
So...ive got this friend who says he is going to build the most wicked IDI around ;Really ...seriously though over at TDS i read a post about how the older (non waste gated) turbo kits from ATS were capable of pushing more boost than the new smaller and wastegated banks/ATS units is this true? so if I, oops i mean my friend :D wanted to build a no holds barred racing IDI could one of these older turbos be a benefit... i stand ready to be criticsised (sp?) :hail

-Nick

Well in theory if there is no wastegate then you can keep building boost until the compressor just flat can't do it any longer (compressor mapping needs to be done - over my head but I do know where the info comes from). Now with a wastegated turbo it will spool up quicker but because of the wastegate being there it will limit your boost. Now the other thing to consider is typically a wg turbo will be smaller on the turbine half so that it actually becomes a hinderance in the upper rpm range (back pressure). But if you size it accordingly it shouldn't be a problem - now how to size it correctly - that is above my head but this is also where the compressor mapping comes into play.

Now you can take a wg turbo and adjust the opening pressure on either the ATS or BANKS units by either lengthing the rod or shortening it to achieve the peak pressure your looking for. Now you can fool it as well by putting in a "boost fooler elbow" or "Boost control Elbow" as they are called but basically they are pop off valves that are home grown. Lots of info about them on the web just look for the Cummins mods. Or you can get yourself a paint sprayer reg and dial in the opening pressure via a knob - I know Rob (F350camper) did this to The Blizzard - pretty neat...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't say I've ever seen a wastegated turbo being used in tractor pulling, if that means anything. :Sly

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Agnem said:
I can't say I've ever seen a wastegated turbo being used in tractor pulling, if that means anything. :Sly

Aren't those motors running WOT when pulling anyway? I could see non-WG then. I would think low end grunt would be helped with the WG. Either one is better than NA. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Members online