Noisy drivetrain

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi!
What I thought was possible the tranny on my truck that would make grinding noises and shake at 30-35+ mph, I'm inclined to think it may be the transfer case which is a 1345 since the tranny would stop the noise when foot was off the go pedal.

Since this is just a guess because I couldn't do much work in my outdoor shop with all the rain lately, I could be wrong and it could be something else like rear end, front wheel bearings, who knows.

I was just curious as to what people thought about the strength and weaknesses of this tranny. If I find it's in the drivetrain, I am tempted to put the axles from under my 77 Highboy with remote 205 under my 86.

So not having played with this particular Transfer Case, I just wanted opinions and experiences people have running one on a HD setup which includes towing the 32' Gooseneck.

Thanks!

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try getting it up above the speed where it happens, then shift the transmission to neutral and coast, see if you still experience it as the truck coasts down into the speed range where it's happening. Then get up to speed again and shift the t-case to neutral and do the same thing. This should help narrow down where it's happening.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it specific to a certain gear in the trans (i.e. is it engine speed specific or trans speed specific or a specific section of the trans)? At 30-35, you should be able to get to that in 3rd or 4th gear. Is it the same in both? Whoops, just re-read that you have a C6. Still may hold true. If so, probably not a trans issue. I would look at the U joints and the play in the slip yoke (I think that should have a slip yoke). Check your fluids too. Tcase should take ATF I believe if its a BW case.

4x4manonbroke

Diesel Master
Reaction score
Check diff also ... the noise can and will travel up the drive shaft .. start checking for loose yoke's , make sure hubs are disenguaged.. etc..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online