No wait to start light

jbuck

Reaction score
1986 F250 6.9.

Glow plugs don't seem to be coming on is there a fuse for that and where is the fuse box located on this truck?

Thanks

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a red/lightgreen that feeds the glowplug controller, that is the same red/lightgreen that feeds the injection pump. So if you can get it to run at all, you can assume that is good. It has a fusible link in the wiring(not sure of the exact location). That's the "brain" part of the glowplug system.

The "brain" feeds the power relay that sends power to the glowplugs. I believe the power relay is located on the pass side fender. It has a heavy red wire feeding one side of the power relay(input from the battery +). The output of the power relay feeds 3 smaller wires, all with fusible links very near the relay.

A. One wire has a darkblue fusible link, this wire feeds the light in the dash.
B. The other two wires both have green fusible links, and both of these wires feed the glowplugs, one feeds the left bank, one feeds the right bank of glowplugs(4 each).

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When mine acted up, it did the same thing and turned out to be a bad controller.
I ended up replacing the controller because I'm not too keen on the manual setup but as a temporary fix, you could wire up a manual button for the time being.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online