no start, gelling and or air leak

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel tank is almost full. Fuel filter is a wix. About 3 months old.less than 1000 miles on it.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good idea on bypassing everything. I will try that tomorrow morning.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Could very well be a leak at the tank or tank selector if equipped.
Or even at the pump itself.
It's definitely pre-filter, since it's draining the filter while cranking/running. IMO

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently replaced fuel tank. Ran the truck on that tank for 10 or 15 miles to test the day before it let me sit. Did lift pump 2 days before, but Im not seeing any leaking there. I unscrewes the filter and held it below the filter head and watched fuel pouring out of filtr head while cranking to test. Not sure how much fuel should be coming out there but seemed like a lot. Maybe a quart per 30 seconds?

I will bypass filter head back tomorrow to test. Thanks for the help.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a 32 minute conversation with Zaggnutt today. He definitely has a fuel supply problem. This is most likely not an air intrusion issue, although if it is, it is PRE-lift pump, and substantial in size. A piece of clear vinyl hose between the lift pump and fuel supply line would allow him to see air bubbles or, if it is a vacuum, then the hose will most likely collapse.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 32 minute conversation with Zaggnutt today. He definitely has a fuel supply problem. This is most likely not an air intrusion issue, although if it is, it is PRE-lift pump, and substantial in size. A piece of clear vinyl hose between the lift pump and fuel supply line would allow him to see air bubbles or, if it is a vacuum, then the hose will most likely collapse.
Thanks for the help this morning Mel. I decided to try the rear tank to narrow down problem areas. After switching to rear tank and dumping 5 gallons of fuel in the truck still will not turn over. BUT this time when I cracked the filter and looked it was completely full of fuel. Verifies what mel suggested regarding fuel supply, but why is it still not firing?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You now have air in the injector lines.
Barely crack them loose and crank with the pedal down.
Tighten lines as you see them getting wet.
I do them all at once. Or at least the ones I can get to.
⅝ wrench IIRC.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to try to get there today to address the air in the injector lines. The front tank / no fuel issue I will address when I get it home with Mel's suggestion of the clear hose. Snow removal work has made it difficult to get to the truck today/last night.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boy, it's been a long week. Snow removal kicked my butt! Anyway, thanks to Mel and Jasper's advice I was able to get the truck started and home on Tuesday... I cracked the injector lines and waited for wetness, retightened, and tried to start - nothing. Didn't even attempt to turn over! Despite the gpr cycling properly, I was getting a wisp of smoke and a whining sound as if from excessive heat so I removed all wires and the heat sink and cleaned connections. I then cleaned the connections on the starter relay as well. I found a broken bolt on holding the gpr that comes up from the controller. It had the ground wire on it and I think may have been my issue with that. Put it under a nut at the valve cover. I also double checked all the return line work I did. Plugged in the block heater with my Pathfinder cigar lighter and an adapter. Glowed the plugs one more time and YES!!! Turned over, kept running, and got me home.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently had air intrusion on the front tank only after I changed sending units. Thought it was the ford connections themselves so I cut and put hoses between the lines instead of the Oring connectors, didn't help.

Pulled the sending unit back out and it turned out to have a pin hole right in the supply line steel elbow. Hold your finger over the end and put air to it and see if you have leaks.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently had air intrusion on the front tank only after I changed sending units. Thought it was the ford connections themselves so I cut and put hoses between the lines instead of the Oring connectors, didn't help.

Pulled the sending unit back out and it turned out to have a pin hole right in the supply line steel elbow. Hold your finger over the end and put air to it and see if you have leaks.

Thanks FF. What were your symptoms?

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine wasnt near as bad. extremely hard cold starts. it would idle all day long with it but would sometimes surge going down the road. The worst was it would almost stall going around a bend or taking a turn. atleast if your rear tank is working fine you only have couple feet of possiblities from the tank to the FSV. It sucked for me since it was in single digits and my front tank was my "fresh fuel" supply and my rear tank was full of WMO. Try lighting that junk off in -15 wind chills. its all better now and my gauge still doesnt work on that tank :dunno

wheres duncannon at?

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh wow. Yeah, I'm guessing oil and -15 don't go together so well... That's where I'm at. Tough to work on the damn thing when you're laying on ice and the wind is blowin' and you're hand goes instantly numb when you pick up that cold ass wrench lol...

Duncannon is about 20 miles north of Harrisburg, but it's on the west side of the Susquehanna... Where are you at? I don't recognize Blairsville.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear that. Just glad it at least runs on the rear tank. Hold ya over until it warms up.

I'm between Altoona and Pittsburgh on 22. My crew cab came from Harrisburg.