No power to Glow Plugs?

cowboytueller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I went to install a push button glow plug system on my pickup today and we got everything hooked up correctly and pushed the button, but with no success.
There seems to be no power to glowplugs but there is power at the button. I ran a wire from the battery to the button then a wire from the button to the two wires that connects the left and right banks of plugs. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it very much.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That isnt close to right. The whole point of a relay is to connect a high amperage load by a low power switch.

Most switches are rated up to 10 or so amps, one glowplug pulls around that much probably more

There are two smart ways of hooking up the switch. The easier and safer method is having the switch be Connected by grounded, and running a wire from the switch to the ground terminal on the relay, with a small wire running from the big hot post to the second small SIGNAL post. The right relay is externally grounded, so you toggle the ground while it is 'hotwired' in a sense.

Otherwise just hook the switched hot lead to the Signal wire. Power to it is what actuates the relay if it is grounded.

If your ever in a pinch, it is possible to bypass the relay with a piece of metal by touhing the two big posts. This is dangerous so if you get hurt it isnt on me. Sparks will fly an pieces of the metal will chunk off. This isnt a load for a switch to take, id be impressed if it didnt burn out - if not then you hooked the switch up to the already hot post - in which case you got lucky.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Look on the passenger side of the engine. Find the engine main wire harness plug. Open it to look for any corrosion on the two yellow wires that feeds the controller. This area gets nasty and when things get dirty the heat builds up in the plug. Its enough to melt the plug. Happens all the time too. I ran a 6 gauge speaker wire directly from the solenoid to the controller. Now I have good power to the controlledr all the time. Some caution needs to be used here. That yeolw wire bunch is hot with power all the time so be cautious working around it. No need to cut out the two yellow wires from the system. I just cut off the ends clean with the harness so it looks nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online