no glowplugs possible?

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
I was kicking around this idea in my head the other day. If one were to remove the glowplugs, but add an intake heater like on a Powerstroke, or Cummins, will the IDI still fire off? Or do the Glowplugs acctually ignite the fuel in the cylinders (or precups rather) when under compression?

Dont ask why, i cant remember why I was thinking this now. Maybe has something to do with removing the controller for more room for turbo's, or because its a pain to get at with a turbo. I DONT KNOW NOW! :dunno

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
If i recall correctly from another thread, the intake heater(otherwise known as grid heater) was intended for a purpose entirely different than getting er to turn over. It was put in for more efficient combustion for cleaner emissions. It supposedly doesn't help ignition nearly as much as glow plugs.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, Powerchokes have both... GP's to get it to light off, the heater to cut down on cold smoke.
On a CTD, the grid heaters more or less are just there so it doesn't make white smoke on a cold start.
The only way to reliably go without GP's on an IDI would be to add an ether start system.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
True.. The powerstrokes have glows. They are located UNDER the valve covers like the injectors and are ZD-11. Truely a pita to work on. Also the electrical wiring has to go thru an area in the valve cover gasket. Now if thats not bad enough the injectors are powered by 110 volts. That wiring is a "special" color..... Just incase you ever have the covers off and are poking around in there.:eek:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Powerchokes have glow plugs. trust me on this one. They are also a royal PITA to replace

are you OK?cookoo id rather replace the GPs on my stroke than on the IDI.no fighting with fuel lines or twisting into positions that the human body isnt capable of to get the 2 under the turbo.

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
Really. I didnt know this. That is good info, that explain my previous experience with a stroke not starting when ot was cold.

Thanks for clearing that up guys.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of people don't wait for the glow plugs on a PSD in my neck of the woods, judging by the fact that they take a good while to start. Maybe the valve covers come off of a PSD more easily than an IDI, if they came off easily then they wouldn't be too bad to work with.

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you OK?cookoo id rather replace the GPs on my stroke than on the IDI.no fighting with fuel lines or twisting into positions that the human body isnt capable of to get the 2 under the turbo.

I gotta go with Towcat on this one - Unless the powerstroke has a body lift, you have to put a lot of pressure on the A/C/heater assembly to get the passenger side valve cover on and off the powerstroke, and it makes it that much harder to get that expensive gasket back in there when you're re-installing it. I've actually seen people seperate the cab from the frame on the passenger side just to get that valve cover off - just my .02. Most powerstrokes around here don't start too well in the winter...

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Valve covers off of a PSD easily? Nope, well, not a Super Duty anyway... An IDI is waaaaaay easier to deal with.
If I remember right, there's a bolt just out of sight behind the rearmost injector for the cover:
You must be registered for see images

The pass side, lets not even go there...
You must be registered for see images

That's the HVAC box in the lower left of the pic...
Getting those covers off was a 2 day fight on my truck....

The 7.3 PSD starts almost as quickly as an IDI does, little bit of a delay for the high pressure pump to build enough pressure to fire the injectors, and mine would start great not plugged in at -38(I never, ever want to do that to any engine ever again,) thank goodness for 0W40...
The 6.0, they seem to turn 4+ revolutions before they light off no matter what you do.

I swore up down and sideways I'd never own another Super Duty, but, I do miss that truck... LOL

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
82F100SWB said:
The 6.0, they seem to turn 4+ revolutions before they light off no matter what you do.

I swore up down and sideways I'd never own another Super Duty, but, I do miss that truck... LOL

Yup. I did an experiment one day with the IDI and the '03 6.0L, guess which one lit off quicker on a 0 degree morning and neither one was plugged in.:D

Yeah I miss the power too but not the problems, buuuut it did get me to find you guys and acquire a yard full of IDI trucks and parts.cookoo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online