No fuel out of IP lines

Dieselmafia

Reaction score
is there anything electrical that may need attention. I've narrowed it down to either something electrical for the injection pump itself. I've turned the Allen screw back to as close to the begenning position as I can. I have fuel to the filter . And when I loosen the plate covering the Allen screw I also have fuel . I'm scratching my head.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You said UP lines. I'm scratching my head also.
Do you mean the IP injector lines, or from the filter to the IP?

Do you have power to the IP? It's the connection on top of the IP furthest to the front towards the radiator.

Edit: When you opened the IP tpo get to the fuel screw, you drained the fuel out of the IP, takes quite a while of cranking to get the air out and fill all the injector lines.

Last edited:

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Edit: When you opened the IP tpo get to the fuel screw, you drained the fuel out of the IP, takes quite a while of cranking to get the air out and fill all the injector lines.

I think Oldbull8 has this right.

Dieselmafia

Reaction score
Yes typo sorry ip lines . I removed the plate again to see if it was drawing fuel. When I removed it feel came out just as it did before. Does that mean it's drawing fuel? And it just hasn't reached the lines yet?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Long ago I was shown when the fuel is returning out the top of the injection pump you are just about ready to fire up.Remove the return line off the top of the injection pump and crank till you see fuel coming out there. but do not crank longer than 15 seconds with a 2 minute cool down between cranking times. Our starters get very hot cranking and you will burn out a starter easily. Not really knowing condition of your starter it may be already cranking slow. Can you count the revolutions of the engine when its cranking..If you can then the stater is really close to worn out. Ebay has a starter we all know and use called the DB starter. They are new and crank faster than you can count. They are gear reduction too.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
It runs from the injection pump across the top of the engine thru the main engine wire harness plug on the passenger side of the engine. Then it ends up at the ignition switch. Following it from the harness 0lug across the radiatos core support is not going to be fun but it must travel that harness direction. Sorry I do not know the wire color.

Dieselmafia

Reaction score
I don't get power when I turn the ignition switch on. Where would you start?

Btw she runs boys all primed just an electrical issue. !!!!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Your electrical issue might be a bad ignition switch or it might be out of adjustment too. Our switch has a run and a start position. When you turn it to the start only power is sent to the injection pump and the fender mounted starter solenoid. When you let go and it returns to the run circuit power now has to continue thru the line to the injection pump and the rest of the electrical system. Kind of hard to explain but we have really complete separate circuits in the switch. My 460 ford jet sky boat would crank and run fine till I let the ignition switch return to run. Then it would die. Looked under dash only to find a loose hanging ignition wire from the switch. I learned that day.
You can run a jumper wire from either battery positive and apply power to the top of the injection pump and still be able to crank the engine from inside. you just can't shut down the engine unless you lift the hood and pull the jumper. We have all done this in a pinch before. Just remember to lift the jumper wire from the BATTERY so it wont be a constant hot hanging somewhere.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no solenoid or relay in line between the battery/supply and the solenoid in the IP. You just have the ignition switch, probably a couple of fuses, and I think there's a fusible link somewhere in there too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin