No Fuel, no start, no clue.

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Truck acted like it ran out of fuel. Put fuel in, cranked for a long time, with no start. Jumped solenoid with an ink pen in the schrader valve on the filter head. No fuel. Replaced lift pump. Cranked for another long time, with ink pen in shrader valve. No fuel. Called a really big tow truck. Truck is now in the driveway.
Fuel pump does not suck. Bad fuel pump, or bad eccentric?

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have an electric fuel pimp around you could just hook up to try? it isolate your problem at the fuel pump, if it works with an electric one.

Also how much fuel did you put in? Your fuel pickup could have broken off in the tank.

Camarogenius

Reaction score
I put in 6 gallons. I don't have an electric laying around. If nothing else, tmorrow, I'll try to suck some fuel through the pick up tube.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Look over the suction line from the tank you gave 6 gallons to. Maybe you have a small pin hole leak in the line and its not able to draw from the tank. The cam excentrics don't just wear out all at once and they can't fall off.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's possible that the fuel pump was not installed properly also. It is possible to install the fuel pump and not have the cam hit it like it should.

One example is the pump in the link:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...Airtex_5406595-P_52_R|GRPFUE2AMS_490553401___

This pump will fit the 7.3 diesel but as you can see with the long arm it has it is possible to install it above the cam.

When Mark and I replaced my pump we pulled out one with a short arm and the one he brought home with him after work had a long arm. It was not until the next day that we realized that both the short arm and long arm would work however I went back the next day with the long arm one and replaced it with the short arm one which probably worked out for the best anyway because I do not think we would have been able to use the long arm one in a van as their is not much clearance.

According to the directions your supposed to bump the motor until the cam is up top so that there is no downward pressure on the arm when installing but even looking with a light and a mirror being that everything is tight in a van you can't see the cam. Fortunately when I did shut down the motor before we pulled the pump the cam was in the right position.

Also if you decide to go electric in the future a small block Chevy fuel pump block off plate will work blocking the fuel pump hole.

If mine ever goes again I am going electric because if you run out of fuel you do not have to crank and crank and crank. At that point all you would have to do is turn the ignition on and hold the schrader valve open until you get fuel coming out.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost true but not quite. It's the block off plate from a GM 454 BBL you want. I'm cocnerned also that perhaps the injection pump hydraulic head is sheared and that is why you have no fuel. I don't think I've ever heard of a lift pump failing in such a way as there is NO fuel, also a healthy IP can suck enough fuel to stay running even through a useless lift pump or through an e-pump that is not pumping. That said my first suggestion would be to somehow get some clean diesel directly to the injection pump and make sure that it "makes fuel" at the injectors once it is bled out. I really hope it's something on the supply side but usually that causes the engine to miss and sputter and run badly and make a visible leak, maybe even eventually quit running, but not just like it seized or ran out of fuel.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When was the fuel filter changed last.. What condition is the flexible fuel line feeding the mechanical fuel pump. Usually that should be replaced when you replace a pump. They don't last forever and its just good insurance...

Camarogenius

Reaction score
When was the fuel filter changed last.. What condition is the flexible fuel line feeding the mechanical fuel pump. Usually that should be replaced when you replace a pump. They don't last forever and its just good insurance...

Fuel filter was changed 10 days ago, and the fuel line about 3 months ago.

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Another new fuel pump, and now I have fuel squirting out of the pump. Unfortunately, now my batteries are dying, and my jumper cables and battery charger are in a storage unit, buried all the way in the back.:mad:

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another new fuel pump, and now I have fuel squirting out of the pump. Unfortunately, now my batteries are dying, and my jumper cables and battery charger are in a storage unit, buried all the way in the back.:mad:

So seems like you had either a defective fuel pump that you installed or was installed as I said. Either way it is good that you found the problem. Now about jumper cables that's what neighbors are for. But if you jump it from a gasser leave the cables hooked up for about 5 minutes or so before trying to crank over your truck. This way you have a good charge built up and you wont kill the neighbors charging system should you decide to go that route.

I had to get a jump from my father one time and he had a 4 cylinder gasser. Left them hooked up for a few minutes and it kicked right off. So don't let the neighbor say they can't jump a diesel. For that matter you could disconnect the jumper cables before cranking to put their mind at ease.

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.... take off your fuel cap(s) and try again.... never know if the vent went bad on the fuel tank..... just an idea. :dunno

...as some have said, eliminate all possibilities.