newbie with a new burb 6.2

future_spiegel

Reaction score
Hey everyone i would like to start by saying im a newbie to suburbans but had a 300sd diesel previously and like to work on my vehicles.

I picked up a nice 85 gmc burban 6.2 that has the turbo from a 6.5 a few weeks ago and im looking to do some maintenance on it.

The guy i bought it from left for alaska about 4 years ago and left it sitting but started right up when i went to see it and have no problems with it so far. Rides good (a bit bouncy) and plenty of power but im concerned that the radiator water is orange so i would like to take care of that, as well as get my gauges working since nothing works except speedo.

Here are some pictures and hope to be here very often. (if the pictures are not allowed let me know and i'll comply)

You must be registered for see images attach

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ohh, sweet truck! I wonder if the coolant could be that awful dexcool stuff GM was using for a few years before even they realized what a poor ELC it was. I'd dump that coolant and flush it out real good. I don't know much about the GM diesels but probably 50-50 low silicate green coolant would be just fine. I don't know if the seals in the system are compatible but for a true worry free coolant, where compatible nothing beats the CAT ELC, no more worries about water ratio or cavitation and it lasts 300K miles or more supposedly. No advice on the gauges, but do be sure to keep an eye on the pyro, since a turbo was not designed into the 6.2 plan. It can certainly handle one but you really need to keep the EGTs well under 1000*F on the hot side of the turbo to be safe I would think. I don't know how well they make or handle boost so no comment there. Sweet score and good luck with it.

future_spiegel

Reaction score
thanks! i'll definetely get on the coolant asap as well as change the oil, fuel filters etc since it got neglected for a while.

the PO told me that the truck was running stock boost (7 i think he said) and i absolutely love driving the truck with the granny gear and manual transmission ;Sweet

also, the fuel gauge fluctuates all over the place and i was told that diesels like to build up bacteria in the tank that messes with the fuel gauge sending unit. is this true or was someone pulling my leg? i think i'll drop the tank regardless to clean it up and check the sender unit.

finally, considering its an older truck (which had the engine rebuilt about 30k miles ago) is there anything you guys recommend i do to keep it in top shape? im used to gassers but new to diesels so...

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
hey man realy nice truck, lucky to have one rust free, do you have an engine pic, me and my bro have been thinking of putting a 6.5 turbo in his suburban

1800joedaddy

Reaction score
thanks! i'll definetely get on the coolant asap as well as change the oil, fuel filters etc since it got neglected for a while.

the PO told me that the truck was running stock boost (7 i think he said) and i absolutely love driving the truck with the granny gear and manual transmission ;Sweet

also, the fuel gauge fluctuates all over the place and i was told that diesels like to build up bacteria in the tank that messes with the fuel gauge sending unit. is this true or was someone pulling my leg? i think i'll drop the tank regardless to clean it up and check the sender unit.

finally, considering its an older truck (which had the engine rebuilt about 30k miles ago) is there anything you guys recommend i do to keep it in top shape? im used to gassers but new to diesels so...

The Algee deal can be cured by cleaning, I'd run some Lucas or Seafoam in it for a couple tanks after and continue with the lucas. I've been hearing some horrible stories about the LSD and it's affect on old Staynadyne pumps.

The Orange coolant could be rust so watch the waterr temps, could mean your going to need to flush the system and change the water pump and thermostat soon.

Great score on the old Burb and it looks mean whith that Moose Killer on it, looks like 4-6 inches of lift as well. GOOD LUCK!:thumbsup:

future_spiegel

Reaction score
thanks everyone, i had forgotten about this thread and thus havent updated it. Basically i decided to drop the tank, put some chains/bolts and gas/diesel mix and shake it up to take out all the crap (end result looked like my engine oil) and the truck is running great ever since.

I still havent done anything about the cooling system but i need to get on that asap, for the time being i got rid of the ford airbox the PO had installed (which sucked only hot air from the engine) and installed a little home made cold air intake and removed exhaust restrictions (aka muffler) which has helped greatly. here are some pics, and a video to boot, hope you guys like it.

future_spiegel

Reaction score
also note, i still had mufflers and everything but now its much louder, ill try to take a video and show you guys

also, daddy thanks a lot for the site! i already found a bunch of stuff im going to want to get for it, for the time being im getting some vette z06 seats for the front, ill come back and show you when i install them. thanks!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online