Newbie introuble!

94F350Fred

Reaction score
I'm so happy to have found oilburners.net! I could use your help please and badly! I live in Central Florida and my only saving grace has been the internet when it comes to repairing my truck because I have not been able to find an excellent IDI "guru" to fix my truck!

I have had several dealings with local diesel shops and needless to say none knew how to diagnose or work on my truck!

I can't explain why and I know the IDI is so basic in the diesel family that a resourceful home mechanic can fix it!!! Unfortunately, I don't have the time or space to work on the truck myself and that’s why I'm desperate to find an IDI technician in Central Florida.

I could use your help please! If anyone knows of a great IDI technician in my area (i.e., Central Florida) please let me know.

I’m looking to fix, tune, and upgrade (i.e., install performance parts) on my truck.

Thanks... Fred

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Hello Fred and welcome to the best forum on these trucks. We have plenty of members in the Florida state too. They will chime is soon. I'm on the west coast where I can see the Pacific Ocean from my home so all I can offer is hepl over the net. Not very many high performance parts available for these simple engines but... We can do wonders with little more than nothing. turbos... Intercoolers... High performance injection pumps and injectors are available from some members here too. All you need to do is ask a question. Someone is on here 24-7-365....

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Honestly when i lived in Orlando i never found a good diesel guy and i actually went so far as to bring my toolbox up with me (i was going to school at ucf, worked for Universal). my roomies loved having a big matco tool box in the living area. they thought it was cool as hell. Anyways basically said you need to learn to work on it yourself.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gonna be hard to do what you ask, most of the old guys that worked on these are dead or not in business anymore. The old time mechanical garages just are far and few between, and the Ford dealers usually don't have an experienced mechanic on these.

Shoot the questions at us. Lots of good info in the IDI tech Articals.
If you have any mechanical ability at all, you should be able to do the work. Usually no special tools are required, except for timing the injector pump.
But just work on one thing at a time, that way if what you did don't seem right, it's easier to diagnose the problem.

Anyhow welcome to the OB Fred. Give us the dope on your truck in your signature.

Newbie introuble!
So what's the problem.

Last edited:

94F350Fred

Reaction score
Thank you all for your support... I hope to hear from the local Florida members on where they recommend I take my truck.

To make a rather crazy long story short, I'm a big fan of these simply great for everything trucks and I recently purchased my first diesel. I have had an F150 for some time now but just always wanted to get a diesel F350. So after months of searching I picked up my 94 F350 from Texas (I drove it from Texas to FL). It’s a crew-cab long bed and has a manual transmission with the IDI 7.3 factory turbo. It looks like it’s optioned out with full captain style chairs throughout and just very nice.

The truck drives well and operates in what I think is normal. However, I’m not confident in my diesel mechanical abilities and before I make it a daily driver I need to have it blessed by an IDI “guru”! This has become very difficult to do down here in Orlando, FL!! Different “Diesel” shops keep giving me different opinions, from great shape to needs an engine rebuild!

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after months of searching I picked up my 94 F350 from Texas (I drove it from Texas to FL). It’s a crew-cab long bed and has a manual transmission with the IDI 7.3 factory turbo. It looks like it’s optioned out with full captain style chairs throughout and just very nice.
You know what they say, Fred: "A picture says a thousand words. So start uploading!" LOL

Welcome - I'm in the same predicament myself, not being able to find a good mechanic for these. This board has served me incredibly well, and while nothing beats a good mechanic for piece of mind, that "search" button is a close second. Good luck.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where at in orlando are you located. Im over in deltona. Shoot me a om if you need any help or have questions. There are not many idi mechanics left around these parts. But there are several members that know a lot.

94F350Fred

Reaction score
I got a buddy that is a wiz with em.....me n a few buddys up here have IDI's.....I'll send you a PM.

That's great... thanks.. Will PM in the next few days!

You know what they say, Fred: "A picture says a thousand words. So start uploading!" LOL.

For sure!!! I will get a few pics up ASAP. I need to get it washed first :)

Where at in orlando are you located. Im over in deltona. Shoot me a om if you need any help or have questions. There are not many idi mechanics left around these parts. But there are several members that know a lot.

Yeah.. There are very knowledgeable people on here. I spent a bit of time reading some threads and its great that so many folks are willing to help and share their knowledge.

Deltona is not that far from me so I'll PM in the next few days and will take it from there. Thanks!