Newb flywheel/clutch question for 94 IDIT w ZF trans

jonb96150

Reaction score
Dumb question here!

I need to replace the clutch master cylinder on my 94 IDIT (factory turbo and 5 sp ZF trans.). But when I look at rockauto etc... I'm confused as to which p/n is correct for my truck.

I "think" the previous owner said it had a dual mass flywheel, but I'm not 100% sure.

Is there a way to I.D. the flywheel? Is there a different master and slave cylinder depending on which flywheel I have or are they the same anyway?

I can see my plastic master cylinder flex with use, did Ford decide to use a flexible (somewhat) master cylinder to reduce firewall flex? Or just to be cheaper?

For a lot more money are aluminum cylinders worth it?

Thanks for any insight. I did a search (probably not a good enough search) but could not find these answers.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They all originally had a dual mass flywheel. If someone did a clutch job on your truck before you got it, it most likely has a solid flywheel conversion. None of that matters as far as the master cylinder goes, it's the same regardless.

The master cylinder also has nothing to do with the flex of the firewall. The flex is coming from a design flaw in the firewall itself and if you have it, it's just a matter of time before your clutch quits working or your master cylinder starts leaking from mis-alignment. There is a guy on here who sells a copy of the Ford bracket they used to re-enforce the firewall. It's a pretty good job to put it in, but it's the only real solution to the problem.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The IDIT engines have externally balanced flywheels, that should be all that matters. I just pulled an engine from my fatory turbo truck that turned out to be a non turbo block engine someone swapped in at some point. So I'd double check the casting number behind vacuum pump by IP gear cover.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the info.

Do you have the bracket makers name handy?

Thanks,
JonB
You can search firewall reinforcement plate.
I think its freebird something.
Or search terrapin manufacturing. He has a website.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The member that makes the plates are freebird01, he does have a website... http://www.terrapinmfg.com/

However, I thought Ford finally redesigned the firewall in the OBS trucks, and the firewall cracking was not an issue on the OBS trucks......

jonb96150

Reaction score
I found the terrapin site. The TSB he has on there ends with the 1991 model. And I could not find any mention of the firewall failure for anything newer than "91. Maybe my search kung fu is weak!

I won't be able to look at my "94 until tomorrow. I have my fingers crossed lol!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pleqse put truck info in sig

Your slave and mc dont care if dmf or smf

Your truck does not utilize a reinforcement plate like 84-91 model years....it has a different design of fire wall.

Read about smf learn the pros and cons...

If you indeed have a factory turbo engine you need to make sure if you replace flywheel you do so with a turbo specific flywheel...or balance will be wrong for engine.

JM7.3CW Eh!

jonb96150

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on hydraulics and flywheel, as soon as it stops raining and snowing I will replace the mc and sc with a pre-bled unit from Summit racing (they have a store with huge warehouse in Reno, Nv and I usually get parts in one or two days). Then I will look at the block casting number.

The old mc apparently did not like the workout I gave it while extricating myself from a snow drifted in dirt road at over 11,000 feet last week. Took an hour of digging (thanks to that land anchor of a skid plate which doubles as a road grader especially in reverse) and back and forth rocking to escape. 10 miles back to pavement and then a 2 hour drive back home w/ no problems and when I went to move the truck the next day, bingo no clutch! The fluid had leaked out overnight! Very grateful it got me home before going dry. Would have been really challenging to navigate about a dozen 3 and 4 point turns on super tight switchbacks on a very steep mountain w/o a clutch. With a clutch it was a little hairy.

I was wondering if you could use water as the hydraulic fluid in a pinch (knowing that the mc and sc would be replaced asap)? And just keep topping off the mc to get back home?

Great news (for me at least) that Ford fixed the firewall problem after the 91 model year.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
It takes brake fluid.
I would pull a tiny bit from the brakes before I put something else in it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online

No members online now.