New Truck/ New question

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got this 83 250 4x4 standard cab for $600 today - I need the tank out of the back, and the thing's worth that much in steel if I can't get it to run again - I have a feeling it wont. The motors missing the ip and a few injectors, looks like its been missing them for years with everything uncovered :backoff Anyways, I'm going to put this 7.3 pump I have around on it and see if I can get it to do anything. Question - With that timing spacer thing on the #1 cylinder on the 7.3 pumps, I know I have to change the #1 line to a 6.9 line on the IP. Do I need to change the rest of the lines too, or are the steel lines for the other 7 cylinders the same?

Attachments

• 0703081945.jpg
    0703081945.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 0703081947.jpg
    0703081947.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 0703081949.jpg
    0703081949.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 36

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oooo, it gots factory tach - coolness! Dumb question tho - why not just use the full 7.3 setup, spacer doohicky and all?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re-bend the line then? This whole thing runs practically off hydraulic pressure, and hydraulic pressure generally don't care much how long the line is - one there's a pulse on the IP side, there will be an instant pulse on the injector side as well, no matter how long the line is.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard its long enough to make it work but I had to use my old 6.9 injection line instead, just couldn't make it happen. Good luck getting it running.

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll send you my address and you can send me those wheels.;Sweet :D :rotflmao

Unfortunately, those wheels are my buddies rollers off his 97 powerstroke that I had to throw on this truck just to get it onto the trailer - they shouldn't be to hard to find a set though, those were stock for awhile...

TLBREWER said:
I think we need more info/pics of the dually!

Ask and you shall recieve - http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18693

Since that post, I sold it to some kid, he blew out the tranny, clutch, and broke the steering column in half cookoo , and I bought it back for $800 and fixed it with all parts I still had from that '83 donor truck. I've been driving it again for about a month and have about $1100 total into it, including fuel... I love WMO ;Sweet

Maybe I'll go take some more pics - we should have a little pic - fest post while everyone else is at the rally -cuss -

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, got it all put back together, pulled it around the shop a couple times, couldn't get the motor to break free.... just the tires. Motor's seized. Oh well, kinda expected that from lookin at it in the first place. Parts, anyone? :rotflmao

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after I gave up on the thing last night, me and a buddy started drinking and time went by and we got bored so we decided to give it another go - but I didn't want to break any more straps, so we got the great idea to build a solid strap in between my dually and the '83. cookoo Using a 3 foot section of thick box tube that fit info my reciever and an axleshaft from a front GM 10 bolt, we basically welded the two trucks together with a ujoint in the middle so they could pivot. Pulled it around for awhile again, in 4x4 it would continue to just drag the 2 tires and the motor wouldn't budge. So after a couple laps around the shop, we decide to push it backwards in 1st gear to break the motor free backwards. I get going, he drops the clutch, the whole system binds, somehow the '83 jumps like 3 feet to the passenger side without the tires squeeling - I don't know if it managed to jump into the air or what. We're both dying of laughter - we managed to rip a piece of the box tube out and bend the tube, shattered a cap on the ujoint so just the top of the cap flew off, tore off one of the tabs that was holding the axleshaft end to the '83, and mangled bolt that was holding the tabs to the front of the '83. :rotflmao So we give up again, some other people showed up and we were telling the story and trying to figure out how the truck shifted so far without the tires squeeling - wait, maybe it broke free? I went and looked at my spray paint mark on the bottom of the harmonic balancer and sure enough, it had moved! :hail We rebuilt our "tow bar", tugged it around some more, and low and behold, it runs! everything in the return circuit was leaking, so we redid all that and ripped it around for awhile - Its a ripper, real quick for an N/A. Who woulda thought... and it would have been at the scrapyard on tuesday. The truck that was saved by Jack Daniels cookoo -I'm gonna go put a starter in it and retire the bar.:rotflmao

FordGuy100

Reaction score
So after I gave up on the thing last night, me and a buddy started drinking and time went by and we got bored so we decided to give it another go - but I didn't want to break any more straps, so we got the great idea to build a solid strap in between my dually and the '83. cookoo Using a 3 foot section of thick box tube that fit info my reciever and an axleshaft from a front GM 10 bolt, we basically welded the two trucks together with a ujoint in the middle so they could pivot. Pulled it around for awhile again, in 4x4 it would continue to just drag the 2 tires and the motor wouldn't budge. So after a couple laps around the shop, we decide to push it backwards in 1st gear to break the motor free backwards. I get going, he drops the clutch, the whole system binds, somehow the '83 jumps like 3 feet to the passenger side without the tires squeeling - I don't know if it managed to jump into the air or what. We're both dying of laughter - we managed to rip a piece of the box tube out and bend the tube, shattered a cap on the ujoint so just the top of the cap flew off, tore off one of the tabs that was holding the axleshaft end to the '83, and mangled bolt that was holding the tabs to the front of the '83. :rotflmao So we give up again, some other people showed up and we were telling the story and trying to figure out how the truck shifted so far without the tires squeeling - wait, maybe it broke free? I went and looked at my spray paint mark on the bottom of the harmonic balancer and sure enough, it had moved! :hail We rebuilt our "tow bar", tugged it around some more, and low and behold, it runs! everything in the return circuit was leaking, so we redid all that and ripped it around for awhile - Its a ripper, real quick for an N/A. Who woulda thought... and it would have been at the scrapyard on tuesday. The truck that was saved by Jack Daniels cookoo -I'm gonna go put a starter in it and retire the bar.:rotflmao

That is awsome man ;Sweet

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty funny stuff... Got the starter in it, it fires right up, has tons of power but doesn't idle great - it sounds fine, but it puffs some white smoke. Guess I'll have to add some new diesel to the 7 year old agg fuel its running off of right now

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Puffs white when cold, or hot? How's your coolant level, burning any coolant? White smoke when cold may be just the IP is retarded (literally), mine was like that and it would smoke bad, I advanced it about 8 degrees (at the crank) and now it don't smoke, it pulls like a freight train, and on a good day knocks down 22mpg :D

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is just freakin' funny!! When I got my 7.3 IDI, I had some issues with it, as far as idle and all, and during my research I read (and was later told) 'cause of pulse, the lines have to be the same length and diameter. If not, the longer/shorter one will run hotter/colder than the others.

Mine also has the timing thing on #1, it took me a while to figure what the heck that thing was.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I just switched out some injectors in my dually since 6 of em were soaking wet, It puffs white smoke at idle too. Don't use any antifreeze or have that telltale smell. Time to bump a few degrees

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online