new transmission in my dads truck, whats wrong???

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Check your battery in your multimeter.
Honestly checking the speed sensor will be way over your capabilities. Mine too, and 99% of the other members here. Lol
You would need a really good oscilloscope.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put multimeter to battery before I checked anything, always do, it read fine

I don't even know what an oscilloscope is lol
So definitely above my capabilities

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
though changing the FIPLS/TPS is good for preventive maintenance,that one going bad wont cause the trans to go into neutral like the range sensor will.
along with very poor shifts (and or converter locking right on top of 2-3 shift) you'll get a flashing OD cancel light and code 23 (real code,while holding WOT during scan) when this one goes wonky enough to cause poor shifting.

i dunno whats going on with the poor TPS voltage readings your getting though.yeah make sure your multi meter has a fresh battery in it or you'll be scratching your head for a couple days lol!

insure your probing the center wire.
1.2V idle
3.80-4.5V WOT

the top and bottom pins should be ground and 5V on the other.i always forget which is which until i probe.5V is on the bottom iirc.

insure your OD cancel light functions by pressing the button to see the light turn on.it should be off (not dim) when not canceled.

Last edited:

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I will change batteries in multimeter and check again

The OD light turns on and stays on when canceled, and is fully off when not cancelled

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean real code?

Are the codes my reader have no good?

We did hold the throttle WOT when scanning

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you mean real code?

Are the codes my reader have no good?

We did hold the throttle WOT when scanning

i just mean you'll always get code 23 (tps) if you you don't hold WOT during the scan.it's a false code if don't hold WOT.when the TPS is bad or maladjusted the od cancel light will flash and you will get code 23,despite holding WOT.
(9 times out of 10 code 62 at least to go along with it)

in short,if you don't have a flashing od light and code 23,then you don't have a problem with your TPS.
which stands to reason because you didn't describe symptoms of a failing or maladjusted TPS in the first place.you described symptoms of a failing or maladjusted range sensor/mlps.;)

Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Checked the tps a little while ago, couldn't even get .9 volts out of it no matter where I adjusted it to, highest I saw was .85 new one will be here tomorrow

Where exactly is the tcm located?

I put our code reader on it yesterday and got DCT 14 and DCT 67 (sorry forgot to put that in OP)

Code 14 doesn't apply. Code 67 does. Code 67 is a MLPS code for a failing sensor. Either voltage is out of range or out of adjustment. You have the marks lined up. The sensor could be bad. Check the wiring to the connector.

Because you have codes the TCM has power. need to check that.

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was a bad MLPS
Got a known good one from black dawg and put it in truck to test and truck shifted perfectly fine
New one will be here tomorrow

Hopefully this is the last of the troubles for this transmission for awhile

Thanks for all the help everybody

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Good to learn you found the problem. Sadly I too was leaning to the MLPS. Kind of ruff when they are bad right out of the box like that..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes