New tow rig

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Take note of the bolts in the above pictures. The ends are red..... Thats the thread sealant that keeps the engine oil from leaking out past the threads. Those bolt holes in the end of the crank for the flywheel go thru the flange to the oily side of the engine... And the torque is 47 lbs... I like to use blue loctite on these bolts.They seal up great and never loosen up while your driving down the road....Oh yes... This has happened to a few members here...Never did have a reason for it either....

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take note of the bolts in the above pictures. The ends are red..... Thats the thread sealant that keeps the engine oil from leaking out past the threads. Those bolt holes in the end of the crank for the flywheel go thru the flange to the oily side of the engine... And the torque is 47 lbs... I like to use blue loctite on these bolts.They seal up great and never loosen up while your driving down the road....Oh yes... This has happened to a few members here...Never did have a reason for it either....

Good to know - the clutch and flywheel I've got listed should be compatible, correct?

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my brother needed help moving some trucks he was going to scrap - one was a 87' F250 diesel that looked to be in running condition. I pulled all sorts of parts off it:

D70 U1 & drive shaft - smooth bottom. Perfect for my 4x4!
I grabbed the brand new front loaded calipers, perfect radiator, fan shroud, GP harness, factory intake (mine is too loud), high idle solenoid (tested and working), under hood light (had to drill hole in center and spray lube in it to get it to work) electric fuel pump, front clip, rear glass slider edges, 8 hole chrome wheels with good tires, and a ton of small stuff. I felt bad leaving the motor and transmission - they were CLEAN, no leaking oil from anywhere, much better then my motor ;(

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha - I had no idea how easy it was to setup a push button controller in these trucks. I got fairly pissed when my truck wouldn't start when it was around 40* outside with new ZD9's in the truck....

I did some poking around and found that all I needed to do was wire up a switch to where the purple wire was. I had a friend grab a switch, inline fuse and fuses for me and we got started when he got off of work, around 10:30. All I had was a head lamp and a wire stripper/crimper tool and we popped the hood and got to work.

A grand total of <10 minutes later I hopped in, gave it 6 seconds of burn (awesome, the WTS light works too!) and I cranked it, not knowing what to expect. The engine roared to life on the second revolution and idled nice - I was very pleased. Now I've got a reliable truck for the entire year!

This web site has lots of great info - thanks again!

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have not used the truck for some time, a few runs to Menard's and towing a light trailer once in awhile, this weekend I had an event where I knew I would be pulling, so I needed to do some maintenance. My fleet batteries got killed this winter due to corroded wiring on the starter relay draining the batteries - they died, froze and don't look so hot any more.

I cleaned up the wiring and added another power wire off the battery directly to the relay and now I've got much better power to the body - blower motor work much better and the power windows are much faster. I grabbed a few cans of SeaFoam and put a whole pint into the fuel filter and spun it on. The truck ran a little rough and them smoothed out - we let it soak for 15 minutes and fired it back up before changing the oil.

The whole time I've owned the truck it has had an open air cleaner on it and I've been barraged by IDI death noises through the cab at at least 80 decibels. I aquired a factory setup, wanting the cold air the factory setup provides, and put it together. The truck idles better with the addition of the SeaFoam and I took it for a spin before hacking out the soup bowl.

I'm happy to say that the truck seems to have much more power, it's INSANELY quiet in the cab now (holy crap, I can hear the transmission!) and much more enjoyable to drive. My batteries are staying charged, the truck is running much better and all it took was a little TLC and some SeaFoam.

I'm thinking the next step will have to be a ZF5 install - with the extra power I've got I should be even faster and more fuel efficient with the overdrive gear. I went from overheating and annoying slow to being able to speed up hills, and well, speed! All this with oversized tires and 3.55 gears -

You must be registered for see images attach

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, most of my extremely small budget goes into my Bronco as I'm good at breaking parts. I'm slowing running out of stuff to break, so I'll eventually be able to get some more stuff done that I've been planning on.

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, I've done nothing but change oil and drive this thing - so lol at my plans and actually getting them done. I got a bunch of clearance belts and seals from RockAuto and got my Carrier pump today - so that goes in next.

You must be registered for see images attach

I've got a failed wheel seal that I got and should have replaced when I did the other side, but whatever... I knew I should have replaced it too!

Next on the list is a pyro and then IP and injectors - need more power!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger