New to the IDI world what to do first?

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
So I'm picking up a late 80's-early 90's F-350 single cab long box 4x from my boss. Rather sad that I don't even know what year it is but I do know he has the service records from when it was new till his farm morons rolled it in the snow last year shortly after he got it. Honestly that is the best thing that could happen to that truck, they would have destroyed it in a short time I'm sure of it. :rolleyes:

So I know of a lot of little issues with these trucks from working on a turbo'd 6.9 with a buddies dad but is there anything different on a 7.3? I've read a lot of the tech on this site and read Mr Ziggster's page top to bottom and I can see many things are in my immediate future. :D

So what I do know about the truck is that it is a 7.3 backed up by a 5 speed. 60 HP up front and a sterling 10.5 out back with I believe 3.55's with my luck not the 4.10's I'd like to have. Currently the truck has a service box on it but that is staying with the farm. Most likely I'll just put fenders on it and a simple shelf on the back end for camping gear etc with boxes between the axle and the back of the cab for tools and whatnot. I know the starter was just replaced and it has a new glow plug controller.

First thing I plan to do is a full fluid change and well baby checkup of everything.

Second is to clean it up, it has sat for almost a year with the driver window off the track so the interior is nasty but so far the seat looks salvageable.

I'll build a ram air type setup and straight pipe with a single 5" stack. I have a muffler off of a semi I may use if the straight pipe gets to be too much on long hauls.

What am I missing? Should I pull the glow plugs and clean the injectors right away or...?

Thanks for your time. :D

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would just change the fluids, check the fuel system for leaks exc change fuel filter as well, also check that the gp system is working correctly its well worth it if ur in the cold weather, but is seems like ur going in a good direction to start!!! good luck and if u have any ?s everyone here is here to help!!

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
One nice thing about where I work is the boss just scrapped a couple of his old cab overs. I'll be robbing them of their fuel filters and air/water separators soon.. From the looks of things I can dump the stock setup and go with this correct? I'm all for ultimate reliability and upgrading what I have so if there is any other worth mods feel free to share the knowledge. :D

I'll be putting a 35 gallon refer tank behind the cab too if it doesn't prove to be too tall to clear my 5th wheel...

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
You've already done the most important first step, and that's get setup here on OB.net, this really is a great resource, as you will find out...

The early 80's fuel/water separators are problematic, user Agnem has an article on these things and the trouble they cause- mostly from grit getting in the drain seal causing an air leak. (link - http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18212&highlight=water+separator )

I have the factory unit on my truck bypassed, and I use a Racor water separator instead.

The first thing to do is like was already mentioned, change all fluids, do a good inspection and find out what you need. Welcome to the site! ;Sweet

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spend some time reading over our FAQ's, and tech articles. If you have a chance to attend an event, you won't regret it. Not only is this the best board, but we have the best people, and when you meet them you know it's true.

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
Yup, so far so good. Been searching and reading a lot of old posts on things. I'm a gasser guy but when this truck pretty much fell in my lap and I can fuel it for almsot free it became a no brainer for me. :D

I'm thinking of stepping up to 37's on recentered H1 hummer wheels with my 2" shackle reversal lift and cut out fenders.... The truck will match my crawler so it will match the theme and have big tires and little lift. :D

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
Spend some time reading over our FAQ's, and tech articles. If you have a chance to attend an event, you won't regret it. Not only is this the best board, but we have the best people, and when you meet them you know it's true.

I'm down in kommifornia every week for work so I suppose it is a possibility to attend something down here.

Oh and I found this place off a link on Pirate so I read the FAQ first thing. ;)

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple old KW's, yea if the horns are still there I'll ship them to ya on your dime. I'll have a look when I get back home later this week.
Thanks! I'm definitely interested...actually, you said that you're regularly coming down to CA. What part of CA are you coming to? I'm not in a particular hurry, so if it's easier for you to throw them in your truck when you come down here, I'm cool with that (assuming you're driving; if you're flying down, that won't work LOL ). Or, if it's easier to ship 'em, I don't have a problem with that either.

Whatever works best for you....thanks! ;Sweet

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
I come out of eastern WA and unload in Reno or San jose. This time of year I spend a lot of time in the Modesto/Ripon area for the reload but I'm in the south bay all summer hauling out of Watsonville/Salinas.

I'll probably ship them if they didn't get tossed already unless I head to San jose again soon, I haven't been back there in over a month.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, okay....that makes sense. If you happen to find out you're going to San Jose, it's pretty easy for me to get down there. Otherwise, yeah, shipping will probably be easier.

Thanks again ;Sweet

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
So a friend and I headed to the farm and my dad met us there to assist in the bed removal and truck revival. All went well and the truck is home now. :D

Apparently there is a starter issue, the solenoid clicks and the neutral safety switch is working but the starter won't even try to kick over. I'll tear into that issue tomorrow, it is probably something stupid from sitting so long. But the truck pull starts extremely easy and the glow plug circuit works just like it should so I'm happy about that.

The truck drives fine, a bit of a pull to the right and looking at the tires it is a toe issue so that's on the list. It is a bit bouncy with no bed on it though, go figure. LOL

Oh, it is a 89 so it has the mid generation front end. To keep the 80's theme I'm putting all 81 sheet metal on the front not only for the look but because it is free and in way better shape than my rolled pile. :D

I'll post pics tomorrow, just thought I'd drop an update before crashing out for the night.

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
Figured out the starter issue, the cable from the solenoid to the starter motor was loose on the solenoid. Tightened it up and she starts just fine. The glow controller is new but it needs glow plugs.

She's a beauty for sure. LOL

You must be registered for see images attach

The fancy mudflap/license plate mount that got me home.. Even got the stink eye from a county sheriff but I guess he didn't have all day to spend writing me up so he went turned off. :D

You must be registered for see images attach

Oh yea, first things first, we hacked the stock muffler off and tossed a 50 series 3" in/out flowmaster on there with the stock tip shooting out in front of the tire. Sounds pretty good as is but I'm sure I'll be yarding that back off for a stack before too long. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online