New to the IDI- flywheel swap questions

moneypit

Reaction score
Howdy! I've owned an '89 F-250 with a 7.3 IDI in it since Sunday, and yesterday I believe my DMF took a dump. I was rolling up to a stop sign and I popped it out of gear to roll up to the stop and when I took off again the whole truck was shaking pretty badly and it would no longer idle along smoothly in gear. It also was vibrating pretty badly in neutral and when shut down it makes all kinds of rattling noises.

Assuming the flywheel is the culprit, would this do the trick?
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=PHT&MfrPartNumber=502700&PartType=267&PTSet=A

Or, is it possible to use a SMF from any 6.9L?

Thanks!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i viewed it earlier but didn't have time to post.
do a quick test.....
the ring gear part is stationary to the motor.
the part the clutch cover bolts onto has movement.
rotate to lock position and draw a hash mark.
rotate to the opposite lock position and mark again
if the measurement between hash marks is 1/2" you are ok.
if the measurement exceeds 5/8" it is in need of replacement.
by your description you should be well in excess of 5/8"....a.k.a. you're in really deep doggie doo.
oh yea....
one last thing. do not mix and match flywheels. the 6.9 flywheel for the t18/19 sits at a shorter height than the ZF5 flywheel does.
and one more....
parts am is requiring my ZIP before letting me proceed.
download the pic and post it.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i viewed it earlier but didn't have time to post...
Ditto.

That flywheel from PartsAmerica will work IF you buy a clutch kit with springs in the hub of the clutch disk. I believe that the 11" kit that PartsAmerica sells has them, but the 12" kit has the solid hub clutch disk IIRC. So if you get that solid flywheel and one of their 11" clutch kits you should be good to go.

If you already had the flywheel from a 6.9 you could use that too. But then you'd need to go to AutoZone and piece together the clutch kit I describe in the tech article about ZF swaps. I'm sure you've seen it, if not take a minute to look it over. A lot of us contributed our info to it.

The difference between the two solid flywheels is that the one you linked is thicker than the one for the 6.9, so the pressure plate is shallower to compensate (see the pictures in my gallery - which are also linked in the tech article). Also the DMF flywheel & pressure plate have 8 bolt holes - arranged in 4 pairs of 2, and the 6.9 has only 6 bolt holes - arranged in 3 pairs of 2.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What? No reply from the original poster in 10 hours? Inconcievable. LOL

Give us a break dude! Look at what time of day you posted. Most folks need to go home and eat, pay the bills and do other stuff. You know we want to help you. ;Sweet

moneypit

Reaction score
What? No reply from the original poster in 10 hours? Inconcievable. LOL

Give us a break dude! Look at what time of day you posted. Most folks need to go home and eat, pay the bills and do other stuff. You know we want to help you. ;Sweet

GAH! My question is more important than your silly "food" and "bills"!

Thanks for all the insight, y'all. Now I've got to roll the numbers around in my head and determine if this truck is worth fixing.... at this point I could probably get back most of my money through scrapping it out...

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol, and I just PM'ed you at GMN to come and register over here and ask about the DMF - ignore that part, seems you know what's the right thing to do all along.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now I've got to roll the numbers around in my head and determine if this truck is worth fixing.... at this point I could probably get back most of my money through scrapping it out...

Why not try the Lucky Mod on your DMF and make it a SMF? It's cheap and Mel can tell how it worked for him.;Sweet

Heath