New to me 1985 CCLB 6.9

IDI Til I Die

Reaction score
Just wanted to introduce myself here since Ive been lurking alot lately. Just bought myself a 1985 CCLB 4 Spd 2wd IDI with 87,000 miles on it. I've had a cummins, and a 7.3 stroke and theres just something about this thing that I love. I will get some pictures tomorrow.

The trucks interior is my favorite part the bench seats are like big couches. The truck also has a gear splitter with underdrive. I have a few questions for you guys also.
The two tank system doesnt work so should I replace that electronic fuel switcher on the inside frame rail?
The truck has a dual range underdrive I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of oil it uses as I am flushing everything and replacing it with new oil.
I have a car trailer that weighs 2500 and it holds 7500lbs can this truck handle towing 10,000 on the hitch? I assume it can but I could be wrong, the truck feels very strong ( truck does 60 at about 2500 rpm so I assume it has 4.10s or so).
The trans is a little finicky and rattles like mad at low rpms in 1st and 2nd should I be concerned? I just changed the oil and it still does it. My 2000 7.3 did the same thing in 1st.
That sums up my first post, looking forward to joining the IDI community. Thanks in advance.
- Drew

Ill make sure I post pictures when I get a turbo and make an exhaust for it.
If anyone has a turbo kit floating around let me know BTW. Im in Allentown PA.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the best forum for information about these rigs. Collectively we have more combined experiance than any dealer on the planet plus. Our answers costs you nothing. there are no dumb questions either. Sure nuff we have answered most every question many times. but new members join here all the time. Enjoy the reading but please... Ask questions before spendine money or tearing something apart. Someone is always online here no matter what time of day or nite it is.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
great [purchase. i was eyeing that up on CL for a little bit. ever need any hep with it i am right down the road.... sorta.

IDI Til I Die

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

There she is in all her glory ;Really

Can anyone tell me what the last pic is? Looks new and I know the PO did glow plugs, is that a glow plug on off switch by chance?

Edit: Wow it looks better in these pictures than in person LOL

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

The tank valve switch is specific to the diesel engine , although Ford made variants for just about every truck. I have changed them out a couple of times, both because they began to leak, not fail to switch. You can take them apart to repair, but they are not meant to be serviced and are riveted together. The part number you need is E5TZ-9189-B. Each unit has numbers on it, but they are not part numbers (they are basic engineering numbers). They cost about $220 at fordpartsgiant.com, the cheapest I have found. You can get them on Amazon for about $270.

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love the truck. An 80-86 crew is the only truck I'd give up my current one for... and those are scarce as hens teeth around here....

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
If you want man you can cruise On down to my place and I will look it over for ya, give ya some pointers and time it if u want

IDI Til I Die

Reaction score

200 Bucks :eek: did not expect that!
Diesel Crawler I appreciate the offer man I may just have to take you up on that soon Im about an hour away from Sellersville but I've been interested in that crawler of yours since I was at Carlisle a year or two ago.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
They cost about $220 at fordpartsgiant.com, the cheapest I have found. You can get them on Amazon for about $270.

If you are poor like me, Pollack makes one also for under $100. I bought one but never actually installed it, so I don't know how they hold up, but they are very popular amongst the biodiesel two-tank conversion crowd.

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
200 Bucks :eek: did not expect that!
Diesel Crawler I appreciate the offer man I may just have to take you up on that soon Im about an hour away from Sellersville but I've been interested in that crawler of yours since I was at Carlisle a year or two ago.

Crawler has changed alot since then. Look up the thread called crawler version uhh.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
That's a beautiful truck. Slant nose crew cabs are a rare gem it seems. I would love to have that rig with 4x4 and A/C.

IDI Til I Die

Reaction score
aaa

Does anyone know of any service manuals or anything that go with the us gear splitter? Its leaking oil out the output shaft but I have no clue where to even check the oil level on it :dunno

Crawler Ill be sure to check it out, thanks for the kind words everyone. I want to spend some cash on this thing ( turbo, zf5 swap, exhaust, flatbed ) but I think I'll follow the voice in my head this time around and keep her stock til my wallet gains some weight. I will keep this thread updated once I start dusting the old grinder off though.

IDI Til I Die

Reaction score
crashed!

Well I managed to crash the ol 6.9, almost sold it but I found a deal on a front clip off an old bronco that was dead in some woods so we worked on it all weekend now she just needs a radiator and Ill be back on the road.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online