NEW STARTER - OMG!

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gary is right about how much it is to turn against all that compression. Even on this 1 cylinder diesel powered trash pump we had at the biodiesel plant I could simply not start that thing without the compression release. It had a bad habit of disengaging and when that happened it was bad for your shoulder. I also just used about a foot of extension, but I would listen to Icanfixall on this he usually has figured out good ways to get stuff done. It was not easy on my truck by any means but it wasn't terrible except for being uncomfortable to work on when it was so damn cold like it was at Christmas time.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
how did you get it to popstart in reverse? i never could get anything to start in reverse. just stops the truck/car whatever i tried it on.

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
Wern't goin' fast enough then. Never had trouble in reverse on my driveway up in PA.

I don't know what model starter is in my 6.4L, but it is what I want on the 7.3L. It is the fastest zip I've ever heard.

Adrianspeeder

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I did not use 3 feet of extensions. I used a deep socket and a 6" extension and a 3/8 drive air ratchet. Worked really well.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never had any problems starting in reverse. Actually do it all the time when my battery terminals are bad

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
The only time I had trouble pullin that bolt was when it was covered in mud and I couldn't find it...

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
The only time I had trouble pullin that bolt was when it was covered in mud and I couldn't find it...

Well, I'll be honest with you- I have significant neuropathy in my fingers and no longer can "see" with my fingertips like I used to. It took me a solid ten minutes to get the socket on the head of that bolt the first time when removing it. When it was time to reinstall it I did like Icanfixall and used tape to hold the bolt in the socket. As I was getting back under the truck with the taped bolt, my daughter walked by and I told her to wish me luck because it was so hard to find the first time. She said "here, have some of my luck to help you" then tapped me on the shoulder with a fingertip. I went back under and put the bolt straight into the hole, blind, first try. I could only shake my head and wonder...