New shocks = New truck

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
Nuff said. I put new shocks, outer tie rod ends, pivot bushings, adjusted the toe in/out and good to go. I had a 65mph vibration that went a way:thumbsup:, and it handles, and rides like new truck. It's fantastic.:D The shocks are Auto Zone Ultra Gold's with lifetime warranty, they seem decent and they fit the budget at $34.99 a piece. I know cheaper isn't always better. These will do for now.;Sweet

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats one thing I too have been seriously contemplating, new shocks. I think the alignment on my truck is fine. Ive put about 4k on the truck since Ive had it and the tires seem to be wearing tip top. Steerings nice and tight. But I feel every bump. I feel like my ride could better from even oem replacement shocks. My ol girls got almost 270k and what Im 99.9999% sure are the original gear.

After reading your post Im gonna bump that back up to the top of priorities for "the truck".

Anyone else whos replaced shocks on a stock IDI care to comment on the differrence????

FordGuy100

Reaction score
They do make a big difference. When I first got my truck I did shocks, and my original shocks could easily be pushed down, and would take forever to rebound.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
I replaced the shocks on the 87, huge difference. No longer did it feel like all the roads in my town hadn't been paved in 30 years, it rides like a car. Before, every small imperfection would jar my teeth together, and bridge joints would throw ya off the seat. Now crossing bridges, I stay in the seat comfortably. Definitely a worth maintenance item to change every now and then

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Does it 'ride like a cloud' now? Heh, since I told you that about mine, my cloud has turned into a thunderstorm! Thanks for the shock recommendation. I'll be doing those as soon as I get my brakes straightened out. A bad rear driver-side axle seal caused a chain reaction of carnage...it's been a rough week and an expensive one. I'm still replacing stuff, done seals, bearings, races (had to be ground off hubs) and hub nuts (made of solid unobtainium apparently) and complete rear brakes...now the front is gone too.
Not hijacking thread but I learned the hard way just how important every little component is on these trucks.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I need some new shocks on the front, the damn thing is like a ship on the ocean in heavy sea's...LOL....It has some adjustable Rancho's on there now, I think they are done....Weak shocks and heavy springs with air bags on top isn't a good mix.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online