New pump issues

GunnerJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed a used but in decent shape injection pump into my 7.3, and now I have to set my idle at ~950 to have it not die when letting my foot off of the throttle quickly. What gives? Also, before I adjusted my idle that high, whenever I put it into second and third I would have pretty much zero power until after the throttle was about an inch and a half depressed, then boom, full power, no in between. Are these two things related? And how do I adjust different settings to fix it?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First thought' No one pulls a good low mile pump!
Best bet....Timing meter , rent one time the truck then check back!
Its way outta time.
Read the stickies?
Search timming( grab an adult beverage and set back and read some) icanfixall rents a meter( good guy)!

GunnerJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The PO had pulled the pump to put a moose pump in place, but would the timing be too advanced or too retarded? Need to have this truck be usable in the next couple of days

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just because it was pulled to replace with moose...doesnt mean its a weaker pump than you had...you got a used pump...its a used pump...to hold expectationz it is better than your used pump is ludicris

A used ****** by you or someone else iz a used comdom..dont make no difference ribbed or otherwise they are still both used...would you taoe yer used ****** off to stick on somebody elses used ******:dunno:rotflmao

Just saying

GunnerJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It came off of a truck running perfectly fine and it was free. My pump was leaking all of the diesel out of it onto the valley pan. Even if it only works for 5000 miles it's still that much longer before I need a remanned pump.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy a new IP and say goodbye to your trucks problems. I would never go through the hassle of installing a used pump on my truck. Who knows what shape they are in and what's inside of them. These DB-2 pumps are one of the very few items that you should spend the extra $ and buy from a reputable shop such as conestoga. A dirty IP can also wipe out your injectors.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If ya read any timing threads' this is what you woulda found, an american dime thickness either way from the clocking marks( NO the marks on pump are not tdc or 9.3 deg)without a meter you are blind.
Try it then keep going either way till it rattles bad then back off till it setteles down.HOT ENG.!
You may be some number of teeth off in the timing gear " yes its impossible" ( rib'rib) Inside joke, see if you can find it in timing threads.

This is in no way an endorsement nor the right way to do it, just a get ya home setup.
To much advance and she'll run like a ***** ape and burn glow's
To little ans she will smoke and run ok.
We had a member retarded 2 teeth, and it drove ok.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Please tell us how you removed and installed this good used pump. If you removed the pump with the gear and the housing from the top of the engine you goofed up and you are way out of gear timing. But not a problem. It can be fixed. What color is the exhaust? White exhaust means retarded timing. Installing any pump. New or used. Those marks on the pump and housing really do not mean anything. If you lined them up that is not how to time these engines. Sadly EVERY injection pump is timed internally differently. You just can't depend on them being the same. These are not like any small block chevy that you can remove a distributor and stick another in and have it very close to timed the same.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's yer guy^^^^^
Get his meter!
Thanx garry
You got cut and paste answers/questions mastered yet?
( poor guy helps everyone ) bet his fingers are sore.

GunnerJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed the lemon cover to get at the three 12 point bolts, not the gear cover as a whole. Oddly, there is no smoke of either color, and this truck spews white smoke at any temp until at operating temperature( pre pump installation). It runs and sounds about the same, maybe a little louder, and power is the same.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The idle control may just be sticking. Change your fuel filter and fill it with ATF, Start it and run it until it gets real smooth sounding. Let it sit overnight. There are some who have had the idle control start to stick from getting gummed up. There is some thinking that this might help free sticking idle controls.

If it sat for a while In between coming off his truck and going on your truck, it may have got a little gummed up.

You do need to get the timing set. There is a timing registry thread at the top of this forum page too. Doesn't say where you are at, so I can't point you to who may be able to help.

GunnerJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ichanged the fuel filter about one hour of run time from right now, is there any reason I can't just empty it and fill it with ATF?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
different pumps require different timing.
i would say you are too far advanced.
i was that member that was 2 teeth retarded.
now im spot on, yet still mentally handicapped
time your truck.
i wouyld still buy a new IP

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance