New noise after hypermax cowl intake install

sms8921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently installed a hypermax cowl intake, fixed a up pipe leak and have way more power. But, when you are in the throttle say getting on the highway when the truck shifts I hear a sound from in the cab. It sounds like a shhhhhhhhhhh.....when it shifts or if Im pulling a hill and get into the throttle it is a constant sssshhhhhhhhhhhhh.....until I let up on the throttle. There is barely any black smoke when this is happening just a light grey haze. I dont have a boost gauge but I hear the turbo whistle in the cab and out the exhaust. All around my downpipe is clean and around the turbo hat and the turbo itself is clean also. Is there anywhere else for a leak or is this a normal sound?

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
try unhooking the tube from the cowl and drive it. see if it stays or gets quieter. might just be the sounds of the turbo threw the intake.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
LOL You'll get used to it. Make sure you dont have any leaves or debris or a screen under your cowl intake vents under the windshield that might be causing any restriction
When you have the heat on fresh air and tromp on it or climb a hill hard, the engine will compete a tad for the air going in the vents in the cowl, and the turbo having the impeller being spun by the exhaust, will win out, so you will hear a slight sucking sound under those conditions. If you turn it on max heat it goes on recirculating and the sound stops if it bothers you. but after a few weeks you wont notice it anymore.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Also they do recommend removing the hose if driving in heavy snow ( like enough to block off the cowl vents ) so keep that in mind. Dont worry about rain so long as you remembered to clean out the drains on the cowl when installing and also the drain on your air filter housing

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
yeah, what you are hearing is normal. mine is scary loud when it down spools, but i have the 60-1 cold wheel in my ats turbo.

Robert, i have read about adjusting the heater controls affecting the noise but i have not noticed any difference at any HVAC position, although i have a home made system not the h-max. i would still like to think that as much noise as mine makes, the hvac postions would make a diff but.......

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yup,all systems go for launch.:) she's just breathing in the fresh cool air.
having the radio on just moderate levels should easily drowned it out.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Yup, if you keep the heat on fresh air and climb a steep hill, you will notice a sudden absence of air flow at your feet to go along with that sound :rotflmao

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online