86ford69

86 Ford F250 6.9
Reaction score
I have a good amount of gasses at idle if I rev it up it goes away. Also have smoke out of cdr. The truck still has decent power. The fuel filter was pretty dirty. But it has been hard to start even when it's 50 deg.

86ford69

86 Ford F250 6.9
Reaction score
I have to cycle my gps three times to start it. It only sat one day. Now it's been sitting for a week. It cranks good and sounds like it's gunna go. It just don't wanna take off. I can hear the difference when the cycle the plugs. No fuel leaks either. I think she's on her last leg.

BlueOvalBud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard starting isn't a sign that the engine is on its way out. Hard starting is either a glow plug issue or the fuel system has a small leak and is losing prime overnight.

If you look at your return lines, are they moist? Do you see any signs of fuel? Smell any fuel?

You can test your glow plugs with a test light. Put the alligator clip end of your test light on the positive battery terminal. Take the electrical connector off each glow plug, then touch the test light to the electrical connector part of the glow plug. If it lights, that plug is good. If it doesn't light, that plug is shot.

By the way, Thank you for your service!!!!;Sweet

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
hehe, u said moist.

also check the rest of the fuel lines and the factory water seperator. just for a test bypass the seperator for a few days and see if it runs better.

BlueOvalBud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hehe, u said moist.

also check the rest of the fuel lines and the factory water seperator. just for a test bypass the seperator for a few days and see if it runs better.

Haha, I say moist because if they were wet or soaked, it would be an evident leak. But if they were "moist" and barely leaking, it's still enough to lose prime in the system.

Good call on the rest of the fuel lines running on the frame rails to the tank. Check both lines, they both need to be in 100% shape.
On mine, I had a pinhole leak in one of them and it drove me nuts trying to find the leak...I was looking at the returns, fuel filter, all the obvious places...until i accidentally found the leak down under the truck when I was doing some other work under there. The line had worn away a bit from moving around under one of the mounting clamps on the frame rail. Just something to consider.

86ford69

86 Ford F250 6.9
Reaction score
I know how to check my gps. Thanks anyway. The fuel water seperator is disconnected and has been for a long time. I'll check the gps today and look for more fuel leaks. Only moist spot is around number eight and that's barley even noticeable.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
if it is wet it is leaking. needs replaced. also are u not running a water seperator at all? if not get one on there. racor makes a nice unit that almost bolts in place of the stock one.

86ford69

86 Ford F250 6.9
Reaction score
Yes it is. I get 12.6 volts from the battery to gp relay hit the switch and it drops to 11 on the big post and picks up 12.3 on the gp side and vtage is 12.3 at spade connectors.That's why I swicthed to the 60gs cus I burnt everythimg else up.

86ford69

86 Ford F250 6.9
Reaction score
Finally got it to fire. She running a lil rough. The motor has a shake to it that it developed over the last two weeks. I use to be able to put my hand on the fuel filter housing and not feel any vibration. Now it rocks the whole truck.

86ford69

86 Ford F250 6.9
Reaction score
Finally got it to fire. She running a lil rough. The motor has a shake to it that it developed over the last two weeks. I use to be able to put my hand on the fuel filter housing and not feel any vibration. Now it rocks the whole truck.I can post a vid

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes