New member w/ ford rollback car carrier

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet

No problem!;Sweet I'll be ordering the parts from them for mine over the winter here. I found them while searching the net for the parts. I can't afford $900 to replace it so I've got no choice but to fix mine.:D Only oil spots on my driveway from the truck are from that brake assembly!:rolleyes: LOL

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
welcome towcat already knows we in the rust belt hate you cali guys and your pretty rust free trucks.
but the fsd thing wouldnt be too hard to do
measure the frame it should be the same as a fsd being chassie cab and all.
if so rear axle will bolt up
the driveline brake will need the cable from the fsd but pedal should interchange
front axle could be trickier towcat can comment on the differences all he needs to do is look out the window im sure he got both sitting there.
but it shouldnt take much either
and starting fluid is fine long as the gps are disconnected i did this for 2 years and now am runing plugs again
check compression the motor may just have a few bad injectors or even need head gaskets
good luck

ya the front end would be the only real fab work. id love to have the driveline brake.. multiplied by the axle ratio.. great stopping power but i guess it adds more wear to the ring and pinion if your doing things like loading cars. i just hate drums and e-brakes.. are these dana 70 brake drums inboard like the dodges?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i just hate drums and e-brakes.. are these dana 70 brake drums inboard like the dodges?
Yes, unfortunately...you have to pull the axleshaft to get the drum off.

I'd love nothing more than to switch to disc rear brakes, but have yet to find a reasonable solution for the E-brake (since I'm a 4x4, I can't bolt in a driveshaft parking brake)...I know that some calipers have an E-brake built in, but from what I've heard, it doesn't really do the job. IIRC late '90's E-series vans have disc rear brakes with a baby drum brake inside that serves as a parking brake (Mercedes did the same thing with at least their older cars with 4-wheel disc brakes)...might be something to look further into? :dunno

Oh, and those rims on your truck aren't really worth anything...I'd be happy to take them off your hands for you :rotflmao :angel:

Seriously, welcome aboard ;Sweet

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

not all dana 70s

I'd love nothing more than to switch to disc rear brakes, but have yet to find a reasonable solution for the E-brake (since I'm a 4x4, I can't bolt in a driveshaft parking brake)...I know that some calipers have an E-brake built in, but from what I've heard, it doesn't really do the job. IIRC late '90's E-series vans have disc rear brakes with a baby drum brake inside that serves as a parking brake (Mercedes did the same thing with at least their older cars with 4-wheel disc brakes)...might be something to look further into? :dunno

99-up vans and trucks have the ebrake drum in the rotor.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
ive been going more towards the dodge dana 80s.. yes i know its not a true dana 80 but its better then that 70 and it can hold more weight, disc brakes.. i swapped one into my cummins and havent had any problems since

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score

Oh, and those rims on your truck aren't really worth anything...I'd be happy to take them off your hands for you :rotflmao :angel:

Seriously, welcome aboard ;Sweet

i bought a NP205 t-case ebrake kit from a company online. they are based in the Sacramento area.. works great

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd never give up the 5.13's!!:D The thing pulls like a motha with them!LOL I'm just going to add a Brownie auxiliary transmission to add a second OD for a little more top end speed.;Sweet

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
i know they pull great but i hate the high revs. i drove a 97 PSD super duty hooklift with a built auto and 5.13s. my first gen cummins with 3.07s and a 3 speed was just as fast as it. but that thing could pull a loaded trailer with a loaded debris box

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know they pull great but i hate the high revs. i drove a 97 PSD super duty hooklift with a built auto and 5.13s. my first gen cummins with 3.07s and a 3 speed was just as fast as it. but that thing could pull a loaded trailer with a loaded debris box

That's what the 2 overdrive gears are for!;Sweet I can't stand an automatic in a truck!! It's a truck! You are suppose to manually shift gears!!!!!!:D

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you put a gear vendors on the back of a SD zf5?

Gear vendors is too weak!:D I'm going with a divorced mount Brownie box. That also gives me an underdrive gear just in case I need a lower gear for pulling a mountain or something.:rotflmao

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
browning lipe boxes are getting hard to find. i do agree with you about gear vendors. i just think the whole "automatic clutches" style is junk. you also cant engine brake with it, unless you want to ruin it. i really want to try a ranger splitter infront of my t-19 but i hear they are very noisy and ive heard the early "brick" cabs are loud inside

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i bought a NP205 t-case ebrake kit from a company online. they are based in the Sacramento area.. works great
Woudl love to hear more details on that...do you remember the website by chance? Do they sell brake kits for other transfer cases (I have a BW 13-45)? How much weight can they reliably hold?

can you put a gear vendors on the back of a SD zf5?
I don't think you can feasibly put a GV unit on, but if you found a Doug Nash/U.S. Gear unit meant for a 4x4, you should be able to put it between the tranny and the E-brake assembly on the SD (since the SD tranny's identical to a 4x4 pickup tranny from a mounting standpoint; I have a tranny out of an F-Superduty on my 4x4 F-250 ;Sweet )...although a Brownie box would certainly be more stout :D