New member w/ ford rollback car carrier

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
So the F-superduty ZF-5s have the gasser gears in them? AKA 5.72 1st gear and 5.24 reverse?

no i think the pickups have those gears. i think because the superduty trucks have such a low axle gear ratio if they put the 5.72 in it would crawl.

but looking at different sites im not sure at the exact numbers

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
The ZF5 42 is available in both wide and close ratio versions. The wide ratio is available in all Fseries vehicles over 8500LBS GVW all engines except Fseries Super Duty Commercial stripped chassis equipped with a diesel engine. The close ratio version is only available in F series vehicles equiped with the 7.3 diesel engine and GVW over 8500LBS.

Ratios

Close 4.14 2.37 1.42 1.0 .077 REV 3.79 (DIESEL)

Wide 5.72 2.94 1.61 1.0 .076 REV 5.24 (GAS)

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW here's the data plate from my ZF, which as I mentioned, was originally in an F-Superduty...

I've heard before that the F-Superduty transmission has a lower 1st than the F-250/350, but the info on this data plate implies that it has the same 1st gear ratio (4.14) as the pickups... :dunno

Attachments

• Data Plate.jpg
    Data Plate.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 10

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
FWIW here's the data plate from my ZF, which as I mentioned, was originally in an F-Superduty...

perfect! thats what im looking for.. now if i can only get that superduty... the trans is going to need a rebuild. he says it grids in or out of second gear. im not 100% sure on its condition but its a driver. 290k on the trans and a 120k engine swap from a rollover. 7.3L NA.. so the story is

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
perfect! thats what im looking for.. now if i can only get that superduty... the trans is going to need a rebuild. he says it grids in or out of second gear. im not 100% sure on its condition but its a driver. 290k on the trans and a 120k engine swap from a rollover. 7.3L NA.. so the story is
Forgive my memory if you mentioned this before, but what's the asking price? Sounds like the 2nd syncros are done for, and can't hurt to go through the bearings and races and whatnot, but it sounds like it'll only need the 2nd gear syncros plus a basic rebuilt kit...

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Ok that is what I thought. All the DIESEL zf5 s42 have the close ratio.
and the GASSER zf5 s42 have the wide ratio. Someone along the line said the F-superduty had the lower gears in them. but by wardens pick, that is not so

and the zf5 s47 DIESEL have the close ratio as well but have a lower 1st and reverse than the S42 diesel version

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
I've heard before that the F-Superduty transmission has a lower 1st than the F-250/350, but the info on this data plate implies that it has the same 1st gear ratio (4.14) as the pickups... :dunno

i think the pickups have the lower first because of of the taller axle gears. 3.55-4.10 compared to 4.63-5.13?

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Ok that is what I thought. All the DIESEL zf5 s42 have the close ratio.
and the GASSER zf5 s42 have the wide ratio

and the zf5 s47 DIESEL have the close ratio as well but have a lower 1st and reverse than the S42 diesel version

I think all the s42 diesel pickups had the wide ratio.?

super duty s42 gasser has wide ratio. SD s42 diesel has close.?

all s42 gasser pickups have wide ratio.?

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
But all the S42-ZF5 diesel trans have the 4:14 1st gear and 3.79 reverse which SUCK. They are entirely to HIGH

oh well that sucks then. i agree with you on the reverse being high but i never use the granny gear on my truck 4 speeds and im only running 235-85-16 tires

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Forgive my memory if you mentioned this before, but what's the asking price? Sounds like the 2nd syncros are done for, and can't hurt to go through the bearings and races and whatnot, but it sounds like it'll only need the 2nd gear syncros plus a basic rebuilt kit...

he wants 1200 for it. im going to low ball him at 8-900.. ill do 1000. short wheel base. just a cab and chassis. took the utility bed off. im hoping it only has the 4.63 axle. i would use that on my truck but then id have to find alcoas or do the SAS (solid axle swap)

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
im confused by this... i read it.. then i see the gear chart and it shows the wide ratio for diesel too

Attachments

• zf5.JPG
    zf5.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 11

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im confused by this... i read it.. then i see the gear chart and it shows the wide ratio for diesel too
the super deep first came in F450's.:D
completely useless most of the time unless you need to move a mountain to Moses.
problem is many F450's lost their trans to leaky PTO's, so many got the standard 4x4 trans as a replacement.
btw....if you want a F450 frame and suspension(rolling frame), come on by. It will cost you a steak dinner.:D

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

you have a newer case on your trans. that plate was on the replacement case. the guts are the old case.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
aww really? i dont want that granny first.

whoa whoa whoa! what is this!? a bait and switch? first your buying me lunch... now im buying you dinner!? haha.. i guess its worth it for some scrap metal ;-)