New member, been lirking, need to break the ice. haha few questions to start with

Yo2001

Reaction score
It's hard to be a new guy again in a new forum so I've been lirking, reading and learning great deal of informations from the archive on this site for couple month now. I figure now would be a good time to come out and say howdy:D

I've purchased a 94 F250 2WD auto IDI turbo couple month ago with an intent to make it into a tow rig for a travel camper (which I do not own yet). Right now I have a popup which I guess the IDI would be a little overkill. This truck wasn't exactly what I was looking for (really was looking at Powerstroke...) but now I have been enlighten to know how well these old IDI do the work specially with a turbo on it. And so much cheaper on the parts!

The info on the truck, like I said earlier on the post, it's a 94 F250 2WD 3.55 gear auto with IDI turbo, the truck only had 164K miles on it (now 167K), rebuilt trans and rust free body with few ding and scratches. So far I have replaced the couple return line, one glow plug, a new Motorcraft thermostat. Also added Banks DP, 3 inch exhaust, Pyro/boost gauges, FP turned up 2.5 flats and boost at 12psi. The truck starts and run great, healthy puff (not a roll)of smoke when I stab at the go pedal and EGT in good range.

Now the questions, I do need to fix both fuel tanks as I can only go 1/4 tank before I run out of fuel. I read that I'll be easier to tank the bed off to get both fuel tanks service but I don't see how to lift the bed off without having major lifting jig to get the job done. I do have a cherry picker and a metal building where I can hoist the bed off the truck (with some creativity) In that case, would I just lift the bed and just drive the truck from under it or is that even possible? How far would I need to lift? How heavy is the bed with nothing in it?

Another, I know it's hard to get constant number on the MPG (I've seen 15-20 MPG from different users on here) but I've seen from 16-18mpg with mixed driving.My usual commute is 12 miles 50/50 city/hwy. Running A/C in the afternoon. Is that pretty normal? I would like to see 20mpg but that's probably pretty hard if I'm not doing all hwy driving correct? The injectors and fuel pump do look like they are factory stuff. Don't know if they were ever rebuilt or not. I've read 100K is the service time for the fuel system but I can't decide if my truck is ready for replacement yet or not. I guess if it is time, it'll be best to just do the Moose pump for around $600 than getting something rebuilt for $300-$400 right? :D

On the side note, it's almost impossible to fill these tank all the way to brim. I'm usually having to squeeze extra 2 gals after auto-shut off at the pump.

Anyway, I hope to contribute something here and there from now on.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. The bed lifting is a good idea but the front tank can be fixed without lifting the bed or dropping the tank. There is enough room to work on the sender from under the truck. Just get under there and look at the tank. Clean off the area around the sender. Knock loose the ring. Remove the lines and the electrical and lift out the sender. Add 3 inches of fuel hose and a clamp.. Fixed that eays. Cut the bottom of the hose in a "V" so the hose wont suck down to the bottom od the tank. The rear tank is tuff. If you drop it you have to cut loose the supply and return lines from the rear frame cross members for more room. Then remove the spare tire and bracket. Remove the fill line. Start removing the straps and watch when dropping the tank. the fuel thats still in it will unbalance the tank. Gravity sucks and the fuel goes where it wants to in the tank. As the tank is coming down reach in to remove the lines and the electrical. Please drain the tank before you reinstall it too. Its much easier doing it that way. As for slow fueling at the stations there is plenty of information on how to fix that. Search for ..Harpooning tanks. These tanks have a horrible fill spout. When you look into the fill area you see a reducer. At the top of that there is a small opening. Thats where all the air in the tanks vents from as you fill the tank. Its not big enough and opening it up with a screwdriver helps. The fuel actually rund down the inside tube into the tank and the air flows up the outside of that tube. Its abad design for sure but we have figured a way to fix this.

Yo2001

Reaction score
I didn't know that I could fix the front tank without dropping. I'll have to try that when I get a chance. Thanks for the info

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
But if both tanks need fixed, might be best to lift the bed and do both at the same time.
I used a brass t at the bottom of mine.

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
16-18 is about right for mixed driving. I only saw 20 on the freeway but mine was 4x4 on 4.10's so that was probably part of it.