New master cylinder...but trucks not starting :(

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mc is in interlock is on as clse to the mc as possible but trucks still not turining over......im thinking dead batteries? lights didnt power up and gauge said they were at 8....so i have the passenger side on the float charger.....are these batteries wired in series or do i need to charge the drivers side one to?

what are the good people of obs thoughts?

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
They are connected in parallel....I'd still charge each battery separately though to get a good deep charge on them.

Last edited:

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Charged both batteries and all I heard was a click didn't even try to turn over.....could that mean my starters done?

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Verify all starting system connections are clean and tight. Once that's done, verify you're getting power to the components in your starting system. If everything checks out so far, I'd say yes, your starter is done. You may be able to get away with disassembly, cleaning and reassembly. if you do go that route, bench test it prior to putting it in.

suv7734

Reaction score
They are connected in series....I'd still charge each battery separately though to get a good deep charge on them.

Please be careful as the batteries are actually connected in parallel. If they were connected in series you would have 24 volts going to the system. Parallel is + to +, series is + to - and then to the system.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fired her up today for the first time in about 6 weeks....you couldn't have wiped the smile of my face if you tried: D

Turns out it was just the clutch safety switch, I took her for a burn around the block and it felt like I didn't have to move the clutch pedal all the way to floor for it to engage...to correct this I what would i. adjust?

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Don't, I adjusted mine for the same reason via the little arm on the clutch pedal and now I'm replacing my clutch because it didn't fully disengage.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch, that sucks thanks for the warning!
So do you think I should put it to the floor every time then?
I don't remeber it being lie this before but it does for sure feel easier to shift

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
If you have an adjustable mc pushrod(rod going from pedal to mc) the i would just adjust it off til there is just a little play at the top of the pedal. do not adjust the pushrod out enough to be pushing the mc in at all when the pedal is at the top of its travel that will burn the clutch up. if you do not have an adjustable mc pushrod or there is already slack at the top of the pedal then I wouldnt touch it as long as you can floor her from an idle without slipping the clutch.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not an adjustable....i ended up using the one that came with the new mc.....what does slipping the clutch mean? i find that it jack rabits a lot less than it did with the old mc, but that could just be b/c i haven't driven her inawhile

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I have noticed that every mc I have put in my truck engages and disengages in a little bit of a different spot. slipping the clutch is when you are overpowering the gripping forces of the clutch therefore the engine will rev up and accelerate but none of that power is transferred down the driveline because the clutch is slipping on the flywheel and not gripping like it should.

I assume by jackrabbit you mean chatter, or buck, or shake,

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, it doesn't do that as much when i first start off

hmm i find that i give it more throttle than it needs it kind of jumps forward (when im changing gears)....are you referring to when its in gear and it just doesn't move when it should?...because in 1st i don't need to give it throttle to move it i just let the clutch out and it goes

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
in lamens terms

1. put truck in 1st gear,
2. let out on clutch with no throttle,
3. FLOOR IT make sure your foot is not touching the clutch,

you can swap step 1 and 2 with:
1. run through gears to 4th
2. let out clutch in 4th and let truck slow to rolling idle in 4th with clutch out.
3. remains the same

if the tires do not spin or the truck take off and it just revs up but dont move then you are slipping the clutch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online