New issue with the truck.

Gigihurt

Reaction score
Last Sunday my truck began to over heat. I cooled it down and continued on my way. It took me an hour and a half to get home. I found a bad thermostat and it was a motor craft. Replaced it and verified it was now cooling down as designed, low and behold my oil pressure is dropping as rpms increase now. I feel bearings more than likely the cam bearings are to blame. The days of worrying about cavitation and some others lack of maintenance before I bought the truck are over. A Cummins 5.9 12 valve will be going in sooner than planned. Sorry to say it, but I am tired of driving with one eye on the road and one on all the gauges.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well unless you have a aftermarket oil pressure gauge, your ******* are in a *** for no reason.
The factory "gauge" is truly useless.
Does not read pressure at all.
It's just a pressure switch, not a pressure sender.
So when it hits 7 psi, it moves the gauge to where it usually sits.
Fords been doing that since the 80's, still do it today.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True ^

I wiped out the bearings on my bronco long ago but it would read more oil pressure when it got warm but when I put a manual gauge on it showed it was the exact opposite.

Never trusted them since.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So how are you determining the oil pressure is dropping. As posted the dash gauge is not to be trusted for anything. They are not a pressure gauge but just a lite that tells you there is pressure but not how much. It can run across the scale too. Same with the coolant dash gauge. Ever wonder what the "O" or the "L" means for temps.. Not to bother. Every truck is different. Get a real gauge and be happy.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
If you're running proper SCAs then why are you worried about cavitation? Past history can't be changed therefore it is irrelevant. All diesel engines can cavitation so assuming you're not talking about a new Dodge engine a used one can have abuse history as well and since the Dodge engine isn't as long lasting as the IDI it may be more prone to failure due to those possible abuses.

And the Dodge engine uses the same gauges as the IDI, you'll be watching the same gauges as you drive.

Confucius says, man that wants Dodge engine should buy Dodge.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umm, yes it is for the application it is in.
According to http://www.cumminsdieselspecs.com/12v.html , the 5.9 12valve was originally used in Case ag equipment. We don't know where the OP is looking to get that engine from.

'Course, your point about the OP's interest is well-taken. NO engine/vehicle, esp. a diesel in a pickup truck, can be driven without at least some attention to its indicators. The IDI is on par with its contemporary competition, wrt reliability.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my oil pressure guage does move with rpm. at idle it pretty low on the guage and at speed it comes up to about the middle so it does seem like its not controlled by an on-off switch.

but turning on the lights makes it drop a little

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
my oil pressure guage does move with rpm. at idle it pretty low on the guage and at speed it comes up to about the middle so it does seem like its not controlled by an on-off switch.

Makes ABSOLUTELY no difference whatsoever. Your gauge, like the rest of ours, is a switch. Nothing more, nothing less. The fluctuation is caused by more power supplied by the alternator as you increase RPM's. That's all. You don't have a special truck just because your "gauge" looks like it's actually "working".

Black dawg

Reaction score

what year truck?

Black dawg

Reaction score
Makes ABSOLUTELY no difference whatsoever. Your gauge, like the rest of ours, is a switch. Nothing more, nothing less. The fluctuation is caused by more power supplied by the alternator as you increase RPM's. That's all. You don't have a special truck just because your "gauge" looks like it's actually "working".

the 7psi switch for the gauge was only used from 87 up. Maybe his truck is earlier?