New IP time!

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First startup and timing check I was at 1* - lol. I guess that is why the garage smoked out so fast...

I screwed with it, had to take some stuff back apart and I got it at 9.5* and locked it in. Sounds completely different and much more power in all the gears, but really not that much faster. I can tell the electric pump will give me some more power as I can run it out of fuel now.

All put back together-
You must be registered for see images attach

Shaved a second off my time, but it feels much more powerful. The freaking stereo plate fell off when I grabbed second the first time - lol.

http://youtu.be/KulsFmv42rw

Last edited:

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today - depending on how late I sleep, I may get the fuel pump installed. I have a party to go to though, so maybe take a break for a chance and do it Sunday...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well I'm happy its mostly all done and your feeling good about the new performance you feel. Its amazing what a pump, injecters and timing can do to these engines. Really glad to have talked with you Kyle and its been a pleasure helping you along. This really is simple work on these easy engines. No matter what a person thinks. Once you have changed the pump and injecters. Then timed the engine its just a simple easy engine that can make the beans when asked.

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again Gary - it was a simple process over all and with the proper info, anyone can do it! The initial drive sure was fun - swing the rear end out to the left through first, grab second and it goes to the right, back left into third and straighten it out into fourth :D

Initial thoughts after the timing is how much easier the engine starts now - it wasn't bad before, but when I was timing just a few degrees made quite a difference. Sometimes I had to use the glow plugs, but when I got it close it would start in under a revolution; I think that DB Electrical start is a big part of that.

Fuel pump today and I've got some 4" exhaust that came off a buddies Duramax that may find its way under the truck. Without a turbo this is basically a big block, so I'm sure there is more power to be made with the factory exhaust and muffler combo....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well getting rid of that muffler thats probably filled with soot will increase hp because its reducing the back pressure plus using larger pipe help more than most will admit it does.

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took it out for a spin in the day light and it actually pushes a decent amount of black smoke when I try - something my old pump never did, even in low range with a 5 ton load behind it... Heat is on and I'm going to try and get the electric pump installed today - I've got roughly 3 ours to do it, probably not enough time, but oh well...

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my electric pump installed, was very easy. Supply line was already cut and had rubber to the original pump. Ran new line up, wired up a simple relay and hooked everything up. Worked flawlessly- truck sat for 6hrs in -10 and fired in three revolutions. Makes more power- up next some 4" from a Duramax.

Last edited:

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it took some research, but I got that timing meter mailed to that jail Gary oh so likes. I did that on Monday - also got my return line kit from Russ which looks very nice! I've got a leak or two that popped up from not pushing down on the return caps, but I'll take care of those when I replace the nasty old rubber lines. Once I get all the leaks out I'm going to do another 0-60 run and see if I improved it over the last run with the electric pump.

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A simple relay. Power and ground to the batt. The electric pump ground to the batt and the power signal I tapped into the IP fuel shutoff wire (its the large spade) - that gives you power when you turn the key on.
I'll get some pictures - I've got to do a little work as I'm driving the truck and trailer from the Minneapolis area to the Iowa border to get a truck on Friday - talk about a perfect test opportunity!

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Looking forward to the photos, much easier to visualize it. If you swing your truck by here, I'll take that problematic tach off your hands... J/k! I hope to find one. All the trucks here get ***** as soon as they hit the junkyard, so it will be a battle

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When these fuel systems are tight they will start so easy. but have an air leak and good luck with the long craniking times. Even an electric lift pump will still cause the engine to crank long but at least its refilling the filter and pump by the time you start cranking. Think of our complete fuel systems like a thumb over the end of a straw that been in a bottle of pop. Lift it out and nothing drops out of the straw. Let your thumb slip and allow some air to be sucked in and the straw will loose all the soda. Same thing happens when we have a air leak in our fuel systems. fuel drains back and mts the filter and pump.