New IP no start

rkpatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago the fully warm engine quit just a couple minutes after switchover to WVO . I finally removed the bad IP from the engine using instructions here - http://oilburners.net/brian/idi/FuelInjectionServicing.htm ) the 12 point bolts were very difficult to remove almost as it they were stripped. . The shaft was in one piece but turned rough rotating it clockwise and it would lock up clockwise not allowing full rotation . I could not find decent price on an IP from the 2 local rebuilders because the condition of core so I wound up purchasing a Borg Warner Remanufactured IP for $550 from one of the chain auto parts stores . I installed it (has to use new bolts to fasten pump to gear) and lined up the timing marks but could not get the vehicle to start. I wouldn't think the little residual WVO in the injectors would keep it from starting ( I tried a little WD40 and ether too ) , I think that I might have got a bad pump (from a mass rebuilder ). I removed the remaned BW pump and took it back for a refund and need some advice on where to go from here before I start over again . -
Thanks

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19770&highlight=borg+warner

Last edited:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
are you getting fuel out of injection pump? Crack loose the injectors and crank the engine over - if you are getting fuel to the injectors then your problem has to be something else other than the injection pump.

If you suspect that the injectors are clogged with WVO then you can either pull them and heat them with a hair drier or torch (be easy there chief with the torch) while holding them upside down I suspect that the stuff will run out.... Never done it but one would think it would work.

rkpatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am getting fuel out. I actually removed one injector and connected to a line and it did pop and spray (but not excessively robust ). It almost seems that the timing might be off but it is very unlike to have happened during the R/R procedure (I even made reference mark in the oil filler hole before I started the R/R) . Is there any chance it could have somwhow jumped time when the pump siezed ? Is there any chance that when rebuilding the pump that they could set it up with timing way off ? - Thanks

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no way the gears could have jumped time. I'd advise against removing that cover.

rkpatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for confirming that . I must have got a bad pump ( Borg Warner reman from a big retail chain auto parts store ). As I don't know the anything about the internal working of these IPs, can only assume that they rebuilt it in such a way that the timing was way off . I don't have the new one from another source yet . Stay tuned .....

There is no way the gears could have jumped time. I'd advise against removing that cover.