New Guy With a coupla ???s

Gary_M

Reaction score
Hello all, Been lurking on here for awhile, Very informantive site. I currently own a 1993 Dodge Dually, CTD, Auto, I use this for my business, I am a self- employed Contractor, I tow a dump trailer that usually weighs about 8-11,000 lbs loaded. Been thinking of buying a 85-93 IDI to replace the truck above. All my builders drive either Powerstrokes or Duramaxes, Nice trucks, just too complex for me. Was wondering if an older IDI will fit the bill? My current truck is relatively stock, and does everything I ask it to do. Just needed some info on what you guys thought. Thanks, Gary

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
Welcome to OB Gary!

As far as the truck is concerned, it will pull the trailer, but it won't do it near as fast as your current rig. you will definitely want a dually with a turbo, 4.10's, and hydroboost brakes, but, no matter what anyone says, these old rigs can take some abuse.

Feel free to ask any questions, someone here will be able to answer them.

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
An IDI should pull that just fine with a turbo. If your going to be pulling I would say look for one with a manual or otherwise invest in a big tranny cooler and gauge if you get one with the E4OD automatic.

Gary_M

Reaction score
Thanks for welcome, ;Sweet Hopefully i will be able to find a decent truck. I know that it will not pull like my "Cummins", But that will be OK. I have always liked the looks of the older Ford trucks, And I think that with a little time and money I will be perfectly happy:D Once again Thanks for the Welcome, Looking forward to gaining alot of valuable info. Gary

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Find a turboed IDI with 4.10's and you shouldn't have a problem.;Sweet I don't know much on the E4OD transmissions:dunno, but my C6 pulls just fine. The only drawback I've found with the C6 is it only has three gears.:mad: That makes things a little slower with the 4.10's and only three gears. I'm looking to swap out my C6 to a ZF just to drop my "cruising" rpms, yet still have my low gear ratios for starting off with a heavy load.:D I might not be able to pull the grades as fast as a PSD, Cummins, and Duramax, but at least when something on my truck breaks it doesn't take a refinance of the house or selling body organs to get the money together for the parts.:rotflmao

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some things to keep in mind when shopping.

1987 was the first year that offered the 5 speed transmission as an option with 5th being overdrive (ZF 5 speed), 1988 and later with manual transmissions all had the 5 speed unless it was a custom build. The ZF has a spring loaded dual mass flywheel that can be prone to failure and is costly to replace when it fails. It can be rebuilt in some cases, or replaced with a single mass flywheel (conversion kits are usually $500 and up).

Older stick shifted trucks used the 4 speed borg warner T19 transmission which is less fuel friendly, but practically bomb proof. No real weaknesses.

1989 was the first year an automatic overdrive transmission was offered (E4OD). The E4OD has many vulnerabilities from factory and you need to ask questions about the history.

Older trucks used the bullet proof C6 3 speed auto. The C6 is a fuel eater, but is very tough and dirt cheap to fix. No real weaknesses, but a big cooler and temp gauge are a good idea if you want to to a lot.

1988 was the first year of the 7.3 IDI with 1984-1987 being the 6.9. Early 6.9s are prone to cracking at the block heater and really early ones had head cracks as well.

1993.5-1994.5 had an IDI with a factory turbocharger. They were only rated at 190Hp, but can easily pump out more without much modding.

Be realistic about what you need the truck for. Do you want to keep up at 70 MPH and still get acceptable MPGs? or do you want something that is bullet proof even at the expense of fuel economy?

If you look at a later truck with an E4OD and 7.3L engine, you need to see the service records for the engine coolant and the transmission. SCAs in the coolant MUST be maintained (you can bring testing strips with you), and the E4OD is prone to costly breakdowns if a rebuild is not done with the latest updates. Ask who did the transmission rebuild, if its never been rebuilt, walk away. If its a ford factory RE-build, its probably good.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to hook my truck up to a heavy trailer just to see how it does ;) Probably would still be slow.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
personally i like a 6.9 better than a 7.3, i think my 6.9 has way more power than my dads 7.3, i have drove both, comming up the 7% grade mountain my truck will pull it in high gear( i have t-19 4 speed, 3:55 gears and 33 inch tires) and hold 55 easy, if i want to i can hit almost seventy by the time i come over the top, if i put it on the floor board but i also smoke have the mountain side off lol:thumbsup:, my dads 7.3 would be lucky to come over it doing 45 in third gear( zf5 3:73 gears 33 inch tires):puke: so i think a 6.9 is a littl better, now mine does have a few mods and so does his, i have a ram air intake dual exaust pump tuned up a tad timing advanced, his has ram-air and 3" exaust no muffler, and timing advanced a hair pump turned up a hair but his wont smoke black very much and i think the pump is getting weak on his.

Gary_M

Reaction score
Thanks to all who replied. I am sure I will have more questions in the future. Been doing a little more research, It can be just a tad bit overwhelming at times:eek: I also own a 1991 Suburban with a 6.2, Seems there are some things they have in common with the IDI. Once again thanks for the info.
Gary

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
dyoung14:
Between a properly running 6.9 and properly running 7.3, with same mods, performance should be almost identical. I'm willing to bet your dad's truck has fueling issues.

Gary M:
The 6.2 is indeed similar to the IDI. In fact, it's an IDI itself. They both use precups, and both use Stanadyne DB2 pumps(although they are not interchangeable, as they run reverse of each other). I personally prefer the 6.9/7.3 to the 6.2/6.5 for power and durability, although the latter is known for better fuel mileage. Might just be my personal experience though. The GMC in my sig is on its third motor, although I believe the machine shop f****ed up the 2nd one. Truck has 178K on it. My belief isn't so much that the 6.2 isn't a good motor, but that it wasn't designed for anything other than a daily driver.

Gary_M

Reaction score
92F350CC,
The suburban I own has 206,000 on it. It is a half-ton 2wd, I use it for a work truck also, I carry my tools, material etc. I do not use it to pull my bigger trailers, Thats what my Dodge dually is for. Mine has the factory pump, injectors (new nozzles@ 99,000)etc. I run 2-stroke oil and fuel treatment in it as I do my Dodge. I try to use it for what it was designed for and not abuse it, IMHO that is why the 6.2-6.5 have got such a bad rep. That is why I started this thread, to see if a Ford IDI would suit my needs, by asking people who own and use these trucks:hail Thanks, Gary

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 6.2 is much lighter than the 6.9 and as such was offered in lighter 1/2 ton trucks with overdrive transmissions as well as the 3/4 ton trucks. If the 6.9 was lighter and was offered with an overdrive transmission early on, I am sure it could have delivered consistently in the low 20s. Tall gearing was half the battle for me to see such numbers.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
92 f350- i have thought about fueling issues to but i dont think it does it runs good and and it will smoke black and runs right up to 3800 rpm when you want it to nut it dies when you hit a mountain-cuss but it good on flat groundcookoo and what is the governed rpmm on a 6.9?? and any one with a 6.9 t-19 and 3.55 gears no what there top speed is in each gear on the governer? mine is 1-20 2-35 3-64-65 4-95 or above;Really