new glow plug recommendations?

otisd85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im looking to get new glow plugs before the winter sets in, i was just curious if any of you diesel savants out there have any recommendations that may already be tried and tested to perform well in cold climates.

from the research i have done so far im kinda leaning towards the bosch deraterm 80034, they seem to have the best reviews and be the best bang for my buck at $81.55 for a set of 8 shipped to my door.

what are your opinions good, bad, or indifferent?

thanks in advance.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really don't remember what brand I last put in mine. But they've lasted forever. I know I have the box somewhere, I will look it up for you this weekend.

Black dawg

Reaction score
those 80034s are a little longer than stock and the terminal not nearly as flexible. they might have problems with your downpipe. Ive had the best luck with 11gs in mine, but getting hard to find.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although I'm planning to freshen up the gaskets either this spring or even winter yet and I may try something else, for kicks.

otisd85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i ended up going with the bosch gp's, i tried to find something else with a made in USA sticker on it but thats getting harder and harder to find now days. wap's say there maid in the USA but i refuse use any of there products. i thought about the ac delcos but people say bad things about the 9g's and now that i got mine out i see why (two of them looked like the tip was melted off, three had no continuity, 1 was swelled i guess as it didnt really want to come out, and the other 2 were the only ones in working order). i couldnt find 11g's, and i read quite a bit on having to run a manual switch to run the 60g's, i didnt want do that though because my gp controller seems to cycle as it should. anyhow the bosch's are made in france (i guess thats better than china or mexico?) and they seem to be working great but with the condition my old gp's were that wouldnt take much. ill post again at thend of winter unless i have problems with them ill let you know sooner

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Glad to hear they're made in France. I bought some AC delco injectors for my 6.5 which were Bosch in the box but made in India. Had 2 dribblers out of the box.

otisd85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it started just a bit on the negative side of 0* the other day, it was a bit bumpy at first and cranked a bit more than i thought it should have but hey she still fired up!

the glow plugs in cylinders 1-2-3-4-6-8, was no problem but the down pipe had to come off for 5&7 and the gasket fell apart so if your gonna change them i would recommend finding a new gasket. i tried a 3" header flange gasket but it leaked and i couldnt think of or find anything else to use so i ended up ordering one from banks, and i thought GM dealerships were pricey. i wasnt very impressed with there customer service either, although they may have been more helpful if i had bought the kit from them, not used.

otisd85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont have a manual gpc the factory on seems to still work fine so i havent seen a reason to change it yet and ive never timed it yet but its probally 12-15 sec when really cold and 4-6 when its warmer

Black dawg

Reaction score
there is not enough room by the down pipe on my sub for these glowplugs. I wonder what is different about our down pipes?

IamDave0887

IDI nutcase
Reaction score
I'm running the Bosch Duraterm 80034s in both my trucks.

My 96 will glow for about 10 seconds on the coldest days, since the compute rmakes up for temps.

My 85 i'll let the factory 5 or so second cycle run, then give it ~10 more seconds when it's below ~40-45*. If it's really cold(hit -8*F here one night this winter) I'll give her about 15 seconds extra. Then it fires up instantly on all 8 like it's summer time out.

I run nothing but the Duraterms glowplugs.

Be careful with the 9G plugs. They are known for burning out and swelling up. A swollen glowplug will not want to come out, and if you break the tip off the glowplug you'll be pulling a cylinder head to fish the tip out.

The 11Gs were the replacement for the 9Gs. However the 11Gs will still burn out if left on too long. It only takes about 15 seconds and the 9G/11G plugs will go nuclear and crap out.

the 11G and for that matter the 9G plugs were not self regulating. When given power they would just get hotter and hotter until they failed. The self regulating plugs will reach a certain temperature then the amperage draw will drop off(I tested this with an inductive ammeter clamp) to limit the temperature the glow plugs reach.

Think of a soldering iron. Once it hits a certain temp you can hear the older ones "click"(my Weller does this) and it stops heating up. Then it'll click back on to bring the temp back up once the tip cools.

Same concept as a self regulating glowplug, only no where near as hot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726