New fuel filter had a leak

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay I have been getting a slight leak from my fuel filter. I have the aluminum screw on base with the fuel filter light sensor and drain. It seemed to be coming from the drain. I decided to just put on the wix 33617 filter that has a port for the sensor and its own drain to eliminate the aluminum piece all together. Well I switched the sensor over added some diesel to the filter and installed it and was about to go try to start it and noticed the sensor leaking. It has a rubber o-ring and was in great shape but I thought that was my problem.

I ended up removing the filter again because I couldn't get it to quit dripping. After I removed it I could see clearly that it wasn't leaking from the sensor but actually on the round part that holds the threaded hole. Its about an inch or so around. I bought the filter last week and the box was about shredded but I had to drive a little further to get it since it wasn't in stock. Well I returned it and they barely even looked at it so I dunno is this common? I am starting to get fed up with this filter setup. This filter was 42.00 with tax! I hate to spend that much on it every time I change filters, the other ones weren't much cheaper.

I am almost considering adding an electric pump on the frame rail and putting a good diesel filter inline. Or is there a filter that will thread on that doesn't have a drain or sensor hole? I would think it would be a lot cheaper and harder to leak. I know my fuel filter light would be on and I wouldn't have a water drain but honestly I haven't ever drained my filter and I usually just change the filter pretty often. I have also considered just getting a different filter head with filter and adapting it to there. They are going to have me another wix in the morning but not sure I want to pick it up.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I have ran them filters with the built in water drain with no problem, on all my truck:dunno

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I just got a bad one. It was obviously not leaking at the threads on the sensor. Maybe I should just try the new one they are ordering.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
i kept the 6.9 head on my 7.3 since the filters are cheaper and i run a racor on the frame of the truck after the electric pump. Has a fuel heater and a water in fuel light provision. Those filters are still cheaper than 42 dollars.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can use the WIX 33217 for a stock replacement
OR
33417, it has a drain but no sensor port and is less expensive than the 33617.
The 33217 and 33417 are 14 Micron.
The 33617 in a 12 Micron.

I have used the 33617 with no problems.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk