New exhaust........No power difference!

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took my truck to the muffler shop next door. They hacked off the restrictive "Y" where the 2 pipes come together. Got rid of the original stock muffler and tiny tailpipe with the screen in it. From the manifolds They ran two 2.25 inch pipes about 4 ft long to a 3 inch "Y" then into a 3 inch truck muffler that I could see right through then a 3 inch tailpipe.

No performance difference at all!

I'm bummed. I was sure that getting rid of the exhaust restrictions would free up a little power. Didn't expect a racecar but since I drive the same roads every day I expected a little improvement on the hills and get up and go.

It is still pretty quiet but does not sound like an air hose anymore.

They originally put on a magnaflow but I didn't like the noise level(Yes I'm over 40).

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
exhaust is only a restriction if you have enough fuel and air getting into the cylinders at the right time. Is it smoking when you give it full throttle?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does not roll coal but will leave a cloud and I can see it coming out the tailpipe in my mirror.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think you would notice unless you went wiTh a straight pipe I noticed the difference and before I ha 40 series flow master that dumped by rear tire and I cut out and welded another piece straight 3in its not to loud honestly unless I'm in it 3/4 or full throttle

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'll bet your fuel mileage will go up. Wait and see before you write it off.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took my truck to the muffler shop next door. They hacked off the restrictive "Y" where the 2 pipes come together. Got rid of the original stock muffler and tiny tailpipe with the screen in it. From the manifolds They ran two 2.25 inch pipes about 4 ft long to a 3 inch "Y" then into a 3 inch truck muffler that I could see right through then a 3 inch tailpipe.

No performance difference at all!

I'm bummed. I was sure that getting rid of the exhaust restrictions would free up a little power. Didn't expect a racecar but since I drive the same roads every day I expected a little improvement on the hills and get up and go.

It is still pretty quiet but does not sound like an air hose anymore.

They originally put on a magnaflow but I didn't like the noise level(Yes I'm over 40).
honestly speaking, nothing will yield impressive results like a turbo kit will. but then again, I made a living with my "slow" F450 carrier since 1993.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you turned up the recommended flat?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you turned up the recommended flat?

No I'm skared. This is the nicest truck I have ever owned. I don't want to burn it up. As for the timing. No clue. I'm brand new to the 6.9/7.3 lifestyle and have not gotten to that part. It seems to run very smooth and runs good(all 8 are working) , kinda gutless like the others I have read about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online