New exhaust........No power difference!

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were mine, I would advance the timing. There are lots of threads on how to do it on here. If it is retarded it will give you gutless and poorer fuel economy.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'd recommend you get one. Good information can be had from that little jewel. My bet is your EGT's have improved with the less restrictive exhaust. Opening up the intake would likely do the same.

I'm glad you haven't touched the fuel screw on the IP. A stone stock N/A IDI can and will make dangerously hight EGT's when pushed. That will happen more quickly and more often when turning up the fuel. A turbo, however, will make that statement almost a non-issue.

Heath

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems to be getting more gutless! I don't know if the exhaust I had put on it is too big? Is that possible? Maybe the new fuel filter I put on it is getting plugged?

Anyway I have been reading threads on every diesel forum I can find. Like you guys everybody is saying to advance the timing.

So I marked the IP and the housing so I would have a referance. BTW the IP has a sticker from a rebuilder so it's rebuilt.

I loosened the 2 easy to get to nuts. Then I had to cut down a cheap wrench to get the 3rd nut loose. As soon as I loosened that last nut the IP spun to the dr side.

I had to really fight it to even get it back where it was. I ended up with it advanced(towards passenger side) about .030 from where it was. Went on a test drive...Runs the same.

Doesn't sound any different.........should I go more?

How do I adjust the idle? It's idling pretty fast now.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
The old n/a 7.3 250 I had I put straight 5 inch after the y pipe and its been like that 3 or more years my friend has it now, it'll spin 37s in second gear with 3.55s

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems to be getting more gutless! I don't know if the exhaust I had put on it is too big? Is that possible? Maybe the new fuel filter I put on it is getting plugged?

Anyway I have been reading threads on every diesel forum I can find. Like you guys everybody is saying to advance the timing.

So I marked the IP and the housing so I would have a referance. BTW the IP has a sticker from a rebuilder so it's rebuilt.

I loosened the 2 easy to get to nuts. Then I had to cut down a cheap wrench to get the 3rd nut loose. As soon as I loosened that last nut the IP spun to the dr side.

I had to really fight it to even get it back where it was. I ended up with it advanced(towards passenger side) about .030 from where it was. Went on a test drive...Runs the same.

Doesn't sound any different.........should I go more?

How do I adjust the idle? It's idling pretty fast now.

Do it again. Ear timing is not ideal, but it should rattle like a powerstroke when the cold start advance is on and then settle down once warm. There is a square tang on the front of the ip that will fit a 3.4 wrench to give more leverage to rotate the pump.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a link to a good timimg thread, i been searching but not finding anythng good..

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok heres where I'm at. Got up early and advanced the pump another 1/16 inch or so. Did seem to run a little better. Made a bunch of calls today trying to find a timing light. Nobody within 25 miles has one. They all told me that they just lined up the marks when replacing a pump so they were no help. Most of the places I called were diesel repair shops!

During my lunch 1/2 hr I advanced it another 1/32 or so. It's running much better now. I don't think I'm going to go anymore w/o a timing light plus I'm going to have to loosen the injection lines which looks like a major pita to do.

So now it's advanced about 3/16 from where it was.It's putting out some brown smoke now. I don't think I need to add any fuel at this point.

Still sounds the same. Sounds like every other diesel I hear.

If I had known that upgrading the exhaust would cause this much trouble Ida left it alone.:rolleyes:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
.......They all told me that they just lined up the marks when replacing a pump so they were no help. Most of the places I called were diesel repair shops!

It's sad to say, but that's true most anywhere. Few places have the knowledge, experience, or equipment to properly time these IDI's. It really isn't difficult with the right equipment. A special meter for pulse, luminosity timing (SnapOn or Kent-Moore) or a adjustable timing light with a ferret adaptor is needed.

Heath

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HarleyCummins

Members online