new 84 6.2

BP6.9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey yall i need some advice, i just bought an 84 6.2 diesel, how hard can i push these mototrs? and do they have the same limits as the ford idi wich i have one of those to

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Pretty much, yes. The weak point on them is the main girdle for the crank, and the harmonic balancer. I think you'd be lucky to get 250 hp out of one.

BP6.9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
honestly thats all im lookin for its in a half ton truck and it is a newer model j code motor that has just over 40 k on it im just lookin to do headstuds and a turbo kit, im just gona use it to ride around and hunt in and pull the ocassional load

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
It'll be more than up to the task of daily driving and pulling light (less than 8k) loads. I plan on doing head studs and main girdle studs with my turbo set up as well. As long as you have the crank re-enforced, you won't have a problem with the engine handling the turbo.

BP6.9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats wat im gona do i want it to be a daily driver because i do have a true one ton 4x4 for heavy stuf i just want it to be a daily driver with just a little sumthin under the hood for when i have to pull my freinds out

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will definitely work hard, give incredible mileage, and last a long time unless it isn't maintained. These are wonderful engines.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Ford with a 6.9 and it's got a bit more grunt to it, and it DOES get pretty good mileage, but its my work truck too. I pull some pretty huge loads and I'm NA. Before I got the Ford, I used the GMC with the 6.2 for pulling some hefty loads. Not as big as I do now, but heavier than I should have and never had an issue. Not even with overheating and I have the stock tstat in it.

BP6.9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well thats what i got to is a 86 single rear wheel f350 6.9 4x4 with a lot of work done to the truck and for N/A i make some pretty impressive power out of it, and the 6.2 i have i bought for 1800 with 40,000 original miles on it, an old man had it ever since it was new in 84, its a black gmc half ton shortbed 4x4, its very nice and id like to keep it looking good and just make it really nice daily driver and offroader that will go threw mud and pull out my dumb freinds

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online