New 10.25 pinion has lip under pinion head.. shim wont seat??

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...

So I have my 10.25 at the local drivetrain shop getting re-geared. I supplied the gears (Dana SVL 4.88) and install kit (National).

The pinion that came out of my housing didn't have any sort of lip under the pinion head (between the bearing surface and pinion head).. however the new one does. This lip isn't letting the bearing shim seat fully which wont allow the bearing to seat fully.

What am I missing here?

Do I need to chamfer the shim or do I need to find a different manufacturer? I contacted Dana and they claimed that the lip is in the dimensional drawing and that is how it's supposed to be. The drivetrain shop had a motive set on the shelf that didn't have the lip... my factory set didn't either.

This is the 2nd set from Dana as I sent the first one back because of this issue.. but according to them, it isn't an issue.

What needs to be done?

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
best I can get with this phone...

You must be registered for see images attach
IMG_20170717_141929721 by acidburn02zts, on Flickr

The black unmachined area between the bearing surface and the pinion head is chamfered and has a very slight lip between it and the bearing surface.

Black dawg

Reaction score
The drivetrain shop must not have shims that are slightly bigger ID? IF I couldn't come up with shims, I would get rid of that lip and radius, or get a different ring and pinion. Could always put bearing on without shim, and use shims behind that race in the housing.....I tend to do them that way most of the time anyway.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to the shop today after I get off work. Hopefully they can show me exactly what is going on and I'll either have the shim chamfered or turn the pinion down a bit.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are u running a crush sleeve or a csek for pinion bearing preload.....crush sleeve eliminator kit?

Somethings not jiving here....drivetrain shop is nfg imho...

But which are u running?

@typ4

Me thats where my csek sat or crush sleeve if running one..but *** do I know.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shop was using what I provided. The shims that came with my national install kit had the same ID as the bearings meaning they were a snug fit to the pinion. With that slight chamfered lip on the pinion (which my stock gear set didn't have), the shim wouldn't sit flush against the pinion head like it should... which wouldn't let the bearing seat. The chamfered lip I'm talking about it the TINY little chamfer between the bearing surface of the pinion shaft and the shim/bearing surface of the pinion head. It's not straight cut.. there is a slight bevel there which the shims were catching on.

The stock setup had a small shim under the pinion head.. then the bearing.. then I assume the crush sleeve. The new shims just wouldn't fit like they should on the new pinion. They found some shims they had with a slighter larger ID which fit just fine.. they just wanted to make sure it wasn't an issue with the new pinion since my old pinion didn't have the chamfered area.. nor did the Motive gearset they had on the shelf.

Anyways, it's going back together today.

Last edited: