Need to rant...

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
This ordeal with my truck post-turbo is really pushing my limits. Feel like I need to rant a bit to people that actually know *** I am talking about.

Two weeks ago, I took my truck to a friend that owns a shop so that he could get it on a lift and work on the up pipes for me. I was having mild contact with the cab and with some quick adjustment he freed up another 3/4". Good deal, drove it home without any issues or leaks.

After that, I parked the truck for about a week while I did some fabrication work for my 6637 filter project. Decided to start it up and run it a bit this past Tuesday. My ears were ringing moments later when the alternator belt starts squealing. Bloody hell.
To top it off, it now is acting like the metering valve is sticking. Classic case of letting off the throttle and it almost dies sort of thing. Run to the store, but some Diesel Kleen and a belt for the alt. Solved for now, runs fine.

While I was at it, I decide to eliminate my boost leaks before returning to the filter project. No problem, ordered a new turbo hose to the intake since mine was rotting. Took it for a test drive and noticed NO change in boost. -cuss

Alright, back to square one...Went back to the garage and tested for leaks...found a slight leak between the intake hat and the intake manifold. No problem, at least I have narrowed it down. Low and behold at the end of my test session, it began to violently shake as if it were running out of fuel. Never had that issue before running at 1/4 tank... Great.

I went to the parts store and bought a tube of Permatex Ultra blue silicone (all they had, stands up to 500*). Also filled up a gas can with diesel and returned home.
I gooped almost half the damned tube of silicone on that intake seal. I mean the stuff was oozing out the sides when I tightened it a little after an hour. No way in hell there could be a leak now!

So I go out today, close everything up, add my diesel and diesel kleen. I coax the sucker into starting and hold the pedal to keep it from dieing. A few minutes of that and it was running like a top again.

Went out for a test drive again...what do you know...NO change in boost pressure!!!!! -cuss-cuss-cuss

I drove home and parked the son of a b****. While I was getting my jacket out of the truck I noticed my carpet had turned BLACK around the shifter. Soot is leaking up through my floorboards now. Great...my exhaust leak is back now too.

I just can't win...I thought I would have this worked out by now, but here I am a year later with a more problems, more time and more money invested than I ever imagined. I wish I would have NEVER installed this turbo. I have spent more time slumped over my f****** radiator in the last year than actually driving the thing!

<several deep breaths later>

End rant. I suppose I'll call my friend tomorrow and see if I can get my truck back on his lift to see what is going on. Also just noticed a possible valve cover leak... FML.

Thanks for reading... feeling better already.

EDIT: A 1993 VW passat diesel just came up on CL in my area...I'm so pissed I'm actually quite tempted right now...

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I hear ya...I had just got home from buying another Cummins donor one day this winter I went to my F350 to check her oil level and in the span of 5 minutes I found a loose vacuum pump belt, broken bolt, starter issue and then a puked headgasket....Thrashed like hell to get it fixed with an engine swap and plowed 2 big storms with it the very next day....Got through that and blew the rad out of it on the next storm doing the 1st driveway!!!....I was pissed but I got through it....It's motivating when you are left with the thought of giving away your plowing money to another truck....LOL

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
When it rains it pours man. Sounds like the old girl got a bit jealous you ain't touched her in awhile and she was pitchin a fit. It'll all work out...just take some deep breathes and get your mind on somethin else for awhile.

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
Is that all?!?! C'mon now, an exhaust leak, and a leaky valve cover ain't nothing! ;Poke

Try some exhaust putty (or something like it) on all the connections. Or take all the pipes off and spray the connecting ends with copper coat.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Is that all?!?! C'mon now, an exhaust leak, and a leaky valve cover ain't nothing! ;Poke

Try some exhaust putty (or something like it) on all the connections. Or take all the pipes off and spray the connecting ends with copper coat.

I wouldn't be so pissed if I hadn't paid $700 to completely replace and start over only to have it leak again! The valve cover doesn't concern me that much honestly...but the sputtering at 1/4 tank of fuel does. I'm gonna have a hay day if I have to drop the tanks and clean out the remains of those shower head fuel pickups.
I'll run a few more tanks to diagnose, but I sure hope I'm wrong and this was a fluke.

Thanks everyone for the support by the way. Just a long and hard day for me from start to finish. Especially when you try to rant to people that have no idea what you are talking about LOL

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I swear on the Walker Exhaust Putty, an eighth inch on each side and connections are not leaking. I was skeptical because it is rather inexpensive but sold on it now. Good luck,;Sweet its all part of the learning curve.LOL

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
I swear on the Walker Exhaust Putty, an eighth inch on each side and connections are not leaking. I was skeptical because it is rather inexpensive but sold on it now. Good luck,;Sweet its all part of the learning curve.LOL

Thanks for the tip, I might actually have a line on that stuff from friend's shop. If all else fails, just gonna weld the sucker!

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
Good luck man keep you're chin up ! you won't be able to stop smiling when you get it all fixed and you are driving it down the road.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
I can relate. It has been a helluva week for me too. I won't go into it, but lets just say a certain car company wants $699 and two weeks to get the #@$!@ part here. All it needs it a $10 bearing and a $35 coil... but they don't sell those parts seperately! Well guess what its a good thing I have the trusty old IDI for back up on these newer POS's!!

Hope your turbo starts working out for you! When it does you will be real happy! Keep on smiling.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
I feel your pain brother, last week I had an injector decide to stick open and make my engine sound like it was hammering a piston through the head. I decided to put my spare set of reman injectors in. Now, it will barely start, and throws out a huge cloud of blue smoke when it does -cuss I got a bag full of Pensacola *******. So now I've got an order in with Mel for some injectors, but I've still got the blue smoke in the mean time. :confused:

In your case though, I see light at the end of the tunnel. It sounds like you're getting things nailed down one by one. And as biggen said, when it's all done you'll have a huge grin that won't wipe off easily.

Last edited:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EDIT: A 1993 VW passat diesel just came up on CL in my area...I'm so pissed I'm actually quite tempted right now...
If you can afford the purchase price and can justify two vehicles, I'd snag it anyways...could be a good commuter car ;Sweet

Beyond that...I understand your frustration, and as everyone else already said, the best thing you can do is step away from it for a while and calm down. But, sounds like you already did that :thumbsup:

Where can you source this stuff? Also, would it be a good idea to use this stuff on the exhaust manifold gasket? I've had an on-again-off-again exhaust leak ever since I installed my turbo and will someday need to take the whole thing apart to seal it up, and I want to do everything I can...thanks!! ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online