Need to modify flywheel dust cover!!!

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
As of yesterday I completed the Single Mass Flywheel conversion from the Ole Dual Mass. Boy what a difference with the new Luk Heavy Duty 12" clutch and Single Mass made, can't wait to pull a load. Definately got rid of some noise that I had, since two of the springs were lose in the flywheel.

Anyway, back to the task at hand, has anyone had to modify their dust cover after completing the conversion? I had to take mine back off after buttoning everything up, due to making noise from the pressure plate schubbing. I would like to have it on there to prevent rocks and trash fromo getting in there....

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As of yesterday I completed the Single Mass Flywheel conversion from the Ole Dual Mass. Boy what a difference with the new Luk Heavy Duty 12" clutch and Single Mass made, can't wait to pull a load. Definately got rid of some noise that I had, since two of the springs were lose in the flywheel.

Anyway, back to the task at hand, has anyone had to modify their dust cover after completing the conversion? I had to take mine back off after buttoning everything up, due to making noise from the pressure plate schubbing. I would like to have it on there to prevent rocks and trash fromo getting in there....

Wow, small world. Just installed a Sachs clutch kit in mine and have the same issue. Something on the backside of the flywheel must be just different enough...

I'm gonna bend mine towards the front of the truck slightly where it goes around the lower "hump" of the oil pan. That seems to be where mine was contacting the most.

Ryan

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue. I took a ballpeen hammer to that cover. It's really easy to see where it needs some hammer love........ the flywheel is kind enough to mark it for you.LOL

I took several "fittings" (whack it with the hammer to mold it away from the flywheel........ test...... whack it some more with a hammer), but once it was clear, I repainted the cover and it's been good since.

Heath

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, my 97 didn't have an issue. Where exactly is it hitting? Any pictures? I wonder what is different on the idi?

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
Sorry no picture of the cover, but as reklund pointed out it is striking the cover that would be closest to the flywheel. Mine was marked by the fly on the lower hump flange corner and the opposite upper corner. Glad to know, not to mean a bad way that other's have experienced this problem also.

Heath, I was thinking the same about reshaping the cover, but wanted someone more experienced member than I to say what I was thinking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert