need some ideas for my new truck

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
ok so yesterday I found out what my Christmas present is gonna be.a 85 f250 xl reg cab 4x4 4 speed 6.9.ive seen the truck for years and have always wanted it and my dad talked the guy into sellin it since he never used it.its sat for 5 years maybe.nit sure on that.i know its gonna have problems but shouldn't be as bad as my chevy was.anyway would a banks turbo off a newer 7.3 powerstroke work on it.ill probley be haulin cedar with it this summer after I get my license in april.im lookin for ideas on brush guards..im think a 3in straight pipe.and has anyone put subs behind the seat of a 80's reg cab im 6'5" so I gotta have seat all the way back.its gonna get studded if we do a turbo.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
a single compact 12 would work great behind the seat, any turbo can be put on the truck if you are willing to fab enough stuff but no it will not be a bolt on ordeal

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
thank you.i know it wont bolt up with out work.just makin shure I could make it work.if I do haul cedar itll be nice to have alittle extra grunt

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I believe you're a little misinformed.
PSD didn't come with a banks turbo.

Psd didn't start til 1994.5.
The 7.3 idi's were from 87(?)-94. Both could be had with a turbo. Banks, CTS, hypermax, ats, were all available on these.

I think you were actually asking about a banks sidewinder turbo from a 7.3 idi, in which, yes it will bolt on.
You'll need the turbo, crossover pipe, intake hat, oil feed line, CDR, dp, turbo mount/up pipe. Probably left a few things out...

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Banks, ATS and Hypermax are the big three turbo companies that made turbo kits to fit our idi engines. any of them will bolt up and work well. All these turbos come up on ebay and in our market place too so check them often. Russ who goes by typ4 here has and can make up a turbo for you. He does great work with turbos. You might want to figure out how deep you need to get into this truck before you make any decisions about turbos. Might require an engine rebuild and thats why it was parked.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
I believe you're a little misinformed.
PSD didn't come with a banks turbo.

Psd didn't start til 1994.5.
The 7.3 idi's were from 87(?)-94. Both could be had with a turbo. Banks, CTS, hypermax, ats, were all available on these.

I think you were actually asking about a banks sidewinder turbo from a 7.3 idi, in which, yes it will bolt on.
You'll need the turbo, crossover pipe, intake hat, oil feed line, CDR, dp, turbo mount/up pipe. Probably left a few things out...

I know they didn't come with banks turbos.but theres a psd at the shop were my trucks at that has a locked up motor.its had a banks turbo put on it.i plan on getting a banks sidewinder if we couldn't get this on.i was just wonderin if it could be made to work with an idi.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Banks, ATS and Hypermax are the big three turbo companies that made turbo kits to fit our idi engines. any of them will bolt up and work well. All these turbos come up on ebay and in our market place too so check them often. Russ who goes by typ4 here has and can make up a turbo for you. He does great work with turbos. You might want to figure out how deep you need to get into this truck before you make any decisions about turbos. Might require an engine rebuild and thats why it was parked.

ya im defitanly gonna make shure it runs before I mess with a turbo. I was just curios.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
ok which turbo is better.the banks sidewinder or the hypermax.the banks is a lot cheeper for the whole kit.im leanin towards that.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
He doesn't have anything on the market yet, but speak with Mel.
Look up RacinAndDrummin on FTE.

A lot of people seem to like the hx35(?)

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do what i did, get a stock ats kit a t3-t4 adaptor, a t70 turbo, and a custom intake, the big deal would be the 1 inch riser for the oil drain pedistal. i got 200 in the turbo, 200 in misc parts and 100 in the up pipe i bought used. the dp is going on tomorrow and itll be making more than stock boost.