need some help with my oil brand and weight

Matt33

Reaction score
what seems to work the best for the 7.3 idi? i know there will be many diffent ansers but looking to see what is posted the most so i have one to stick with. thanks guys, and girls. Matt

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just like the battery thread that came up recently, you'll get a million unproductive and inconclusive answers...

Bottom line (just the facts): use diesel rated oil, weight based on temperature. A powerstroke that relies on a HPOP may be more sensitive to brands and grades, but the IDI is a simple purely mechanical engine.

Anything beyond that, barring scientific evidence, is personal opinion, conjecture, anecdotal evidence, or hearsay.

Google this for your reading pleasure:
IDI oil brand weight site:eek:ilburners.net

Last edited:

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just make sure you buy diesel rated oil, but most folks will tell you that Rotella seems to get "drank" more between oil changes than Delo. I ran both in my old IDI and I can attest that the Delo didn't lose as much between changes. I really like synthetics, but I'm skeptical at running them in an older IDI as they have a tendency to leak more. Other folks like Valvoline and/or other oil manufacturers, just make sure you stick with diesel rated oil and you should be ok.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run Mobile Delvac, Mobile 1, or Amsoil. All personal preference.

I had the rotella drinking problem in my trucks, I switched to synthetic on most soon after.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on how cold it gets where you live. Might not be needed so much if you only see brief cold snaps.

I run 5/40 year-round w/ no issues.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any value in changing to a lighter weight oil in winter? If so, what weight?
I run 5w40 in winter also. I use 15w40 in summer because I have several cases of it I got on clearance a few years ago.

But in reality it does not get that cold here. ~25F or so and a 15w40 will work for me year round.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I run Delo 15W40 year round in So Cali. Its never colder than about 32 degrees here ever. Today and tomorrow are as cold as its been in well over a year. Wow. I also like running Motorcraft 15W40. As already posted just make sure you run a diesel rated oil. Using the powerstroke filter number 1995 is a nice idea too. Its larger than the idi filter and the media is a better grade because the psd engines require a cleaner oil.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like already stated, I think it is more important that you have the correct amount of oil reading on dipstick than what type of oil you use. Oil is oil IMO. Drain it, dump it in, change filter, maintain oil level, and forget about it until next oil change. Just as long as it's a diesel rated you will be fine. Many members have had bad luck with Rotella (excessive burnoff) and good luck with Supertech 15w-40 Walmart oil and Delo 15w-40 just to name a few. The powerstroke filter is a great upgrade filter that many of us use. I have bought 3 motorcraft psd filters and none of them seem to thread onto my oil cooler header. I went with Oreilly's microgard psd filter and it works well for me. It is a tight fit but it does fit.

Matt33

Reaction score
will that filter number be 1995 at advance auto to? also will 15 40 be ok in -40f weather?

James.Taylor012

Reaction score
I run Delo 15W40 in my 6.9 IDI but I live down in Texas so it does not get relatively cold down here. Works well for my stock engine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online